WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "Topping off" Lipo Battery (https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33536)

diverdon 04-19-2008 03:42 PM

"Topping off" Lipo Battery

When I go "Flying" :blah:I don't use all of the charge in the battery .. Should I Recharge it before I go again the one 3 cell battery has 11.9 volts in it and is a 2200 mah battery .. I am not trying to get ut of recharging it .. Just don't want to hurt it ..

So what do you think ?::o? To Recharge or not .. That is the question.. You see I usually don't make it long enough before I have broken the plane in such a way that it is un flyable ..so do I go ahead and recharge it anyhow or not ??? Thanks Again ... Don (Crash) J.:{

firemanbill 04-19-2008 03:46 PM

I always put mine in the pane with a full charge for the first flight.

Now if I've been up for a short flight and say, fly another plane, I may take the first one up again without recharging if I know it has enough juice.

But for the flirst flight of the day it's always a full charge even if it means just topping it off before i head out.

Rodneh 04-19-2008 03:47 PM

Depends on the way your ESC is set up. As long as it will not mistakenly think it is a 2 cell battery and change the cutoff to to low a value , you do not have to recharge or top off but; it there is a chance of this, always start with a fully charged battery or you may destroy the battery by draining it below limits.

idealhobbies 04-19-2008 03:57 PM

I always top off.

diverdon 04-19-2008 05:33 PM

Thanks you all .. I guess the only question is .. Will it hurt the battery to top it off ?

Bub Steve 04-19-2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by diverdon (Post 395789)
Thanks you all .. I guess the only question is .. Will it hurt the battery to top it off ?

Unlike Nicads it doesn't hurt lipos to charge-um from any state their at, your bub, steve

Biplane Murphy 04-20-2008 12:52 AM

I always start a flight with a fully charged battery, and charge em up after every flight before flying with that battery again.

GeneH 04-25-2008 04:48 AM

One note of caution: make sure your battery charger recognizes a 3 cell and not 4 cells. If the voltage is still high, and you want to top off, the charger might think it's a 4 cell and will charge to a higher voltage, with potentially disastrous results.

Gene

Biplane Murphy 04-25-2008 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by GeneH (Post 398460)
One note of caution: make sure your battery charger recognizes a 3 cell and not 4 cells. If the voltage is still high, and you want to top off, the charger might think it's a 4 cell and will charge to a higher voltage, with potentially disastrous results.

Gene

Hi Gene...:)

Hope everything is going well up in the ole "Fort"......Say hi to all the guys for me.:)

jswigart 04-27-2008 04:43 PM

Some esc's measure your voltage at the start of flight and shut off at 70%. If your lipo is already down to 60% when you start the flight, you may drain it to a point where it will be damaged.

humboldt guy 04-28-2008 08:26 AM

I always top off. I'm using a Cellpro 4s charger which always recognizes the correct cell count. There is no chance of damaging the lipo's by topping off.

crash-happy 04-28-2008 10:18 AM

im a noob but if i use my heli i charge the batery every time before hand....:D