Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Piperfan

View Piperfan's Gallery14
Club: Hoosick Aeromodelers
Friends: (0)
Thumbs up E-Flite 25 J3 Piper Cub

Just picked one of these up to ad to my cub hanger. I have to admit, E-flite is doing it right. This plane is one of the best small scale cubs I have ever seen. I am considering removing the dihedral from the wings to make its scale appearence more realistic. I wish they put this out as a kit! I would love to build one from the kit form. The only thing so far I found was that the motor mount that comes with the E-flite power 25 was not drilled out for the 8-32 mounting bolts that come with the kit and blind nuts already mounted in the fire wall. I simply drilled the correct size holes in the mount. I am going to finish in Military Liason scale stars to have another warbird. The ultra cote stripe and numbers come off easily enough leaving no visiable marks. I am using 4 Hitec HS225MG servos, Castle 40amp ESC, TP 2100 3s battery Xs 2 in parallel, 6 channel receiver. If this plane fly's as good as my other eflite planes, this will be a winner. More info as the build progress's and photos too!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Send a message via AIM to debhicks

It is a nice plane. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Debbie Hicks AMA# 8601 Leader Member - Industrial
AD2H Amateur Extra Class Radio Operator
Will's Hobbies & CB Shop
Will's Hobbies Classified - Free
Asheville-Buncombe-Aeromodelers
Etowah Lions Club - Newsletter Editor, President 2006/2007
WCARS
Henderson County RACES member

Loving the Mountains of North Carolina
Old 06-18-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
alienx
Super Contributor

View alienx's Gallery38
Club: Edison Park Flying Field
Friends: (4)

I wanted that one too but spent all my money waiting for it to come out (I actually spent more than that!!). I'll be happily watching this thread for pics and video though. Good luck with it!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Piperfan

Well folks, the maiden flight was flawless!! I flew for almost 25 minutes as scale speeds. It fly's like a much larger model. It does all the usual cub excercise's (hammer head, roll's, loop's, cuban 8's, humpy bumps and so on) with plenty of power to spare. Side slipping on final is a thing of beauty if its not windy. Will post picks soon and a Mpeg hopefully tonight after this evenings flying. For those of you who waited, wait no longer. No doubt this will become your next favorite model. I had a feeling E-flite got it right. It balanced right on the money no mod's neccesary. I added a few scale touch's like the vertical front wing support in the front of the cabin and painted the inside yellow. Look for more soon.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:43 AM   #5
Piperfan

OK, I forgot my camera 3 times since the first flight. I finally got some shots today. I kit bashed some and stripped the cub stripes and tail decals off and put US stars and bars on to get a US ARMY Liason version. Yes, I know its not a L-4 but it looks great anyway. All flights so far have been in the 25 to 30 minute range. Super flyer, some what squirlly on the ground but once you get the tail flying, its fine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	141.jpg
Views:	3207
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	13545   Click image for larger version

Name:	144.jpg
Views:	2968
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	13546   Click image for larger version

Name:	146.jpg
Views:	2162
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	13547   Click image for larger version

Name:	155.jpg
Views:	2253
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	13548   Click image for larger version

Name:	156.jpg
Views:	1873
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	13549  

Click image for larger version

Name:	157.jpg
Views:	1865
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	13550   Click image for larger version

Name:	158.jpg
Views:	1645
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	13551  
Old 07-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #6
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

View Bill G's Gallery86
Club: rcg staff
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (17)

A guy bought one of these the other day, when I was at the LHS. Got the Eflite motor, and something like a Thunder Power 3s-5million P massive brick of a lipo. Probably get over an hour out of it.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
alienx
Super Contributor

View alienx's Gallery38
Club: Edison Park Flying Field

Looks really good! I like the army decor. Can't see how I can possibly avoid this purchase ...thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
nautilus_3

Default New to RC flying

Hi, I just bought one of these Piper Cubs from E-Flight. The people at the hobby shop could not help me in purchasing the proper components to make this thing fly, as they had no idea how they worked it seemed... So can anyone recommend everything I need? I have nothing but the fully assembled plane.. Need a Motor, as well as the radio and what ever else. One shop I went to recently said that it was going to take around $1000 to get this going. Cant afford that, so please keep in mind a low, but not too low, budget.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
SilberIgel

Talking

Originally Posted by nautilus_3 View Post
Hi, I just bought one of these Piper Cubs from E-Flight. The people at the hobby shop could not help me in purchasing the proper components to make this thing fly, as they had no idea how they worked it seemed... So can anyone recommend everything I need? I have nothing but the fully assembled plane.. Need a Motor, as well as the radio and what ever else. One shop I went to recently said that it was going to take around $1000 to get this going. Cant afford that, so please keep in mind a low, but not too low, budget.

Thanks for the help
Dude!!! Check the side of the box!!! All the info you need is there complements of E-flight. If you don't wan't E-flight 'stuff' you can use their info as a guide.....

Its gonna be awsome!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #10
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

View WWI Ace's Gallery4
Friends: (10)

I'm flying a .25 sized Fokker triplane with the Eflite Power 25 motor, Eflite 40amp ESC, APC 12x6 prop (not the slow fly!!), 2 Thunder Power 3 cell 1320mah batteries wired parallel, Spektrum AR6000 rx, and 4 S75 servos. Get about 8-9 minutes of flying. Flies easily at half throttle. I've had great luck with both the motor and ESC. I think that this is the power setup they recommend for the Cub anyway. Just with a bigger lipoly. But by using two small ones wired parallel I can also disconnect them and use them in my smaller planes!!! Steve.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:34 AM   #11
Piperfan

I guess your LHS is not very knowledgeable regarding RC planes. Otherwise you would be flying right now. As the previous comment says, check the box. Duh! The instructions also mentions various fly pack systems. I do recommend you use Hitec's HS225MG (metal gear) servos (about $27 but worth it). The plane is large enough to do some serious manuvers and the little plastic gears in most small servos would sheer very quickly. If you look up at the beginning of my thread you will see the items I put in the plane. You will need to put at least 2 2100mha 3s batts in the plane. It needs the weight to balance of this size battery set up. You could use one 4200mha 3s instead but I have other planes that use the 2100's from Thunder power. You need to make a Parallel power connector to get to 4200 with two 2100 packs. For the E-flight power25 you are going to need at least a 40 amp ESC. E-flite makes one perfect for the size motor/battery set up. Read the manual. Leave the BEC connected.
As mentioned, the plane is squirrely on the ground until you fly the tail. If you are not a good tail dragger pilot you will have a hard time getting it to track well. Just fly the tail and you'll do fine. It also likes to have a bit of rudder when initiating a turn (as all cubs do Full size or scale). other wise you will drag the tail around and your turns will look like crap. You can use a small 4, 5 or six channel receiver. I am using a 6 (borrowed from another plane) so I can get my airlerons to have differential (more up then down). I recommend a computor radio. If you don't have one. Get one. The fact that you can fly multiple planes from one radio is worth it.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:04 AM   #12
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

View Crash Test Dummy's Gallery15
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Piperfan View Post
OK, I forgot my camera 3 times since the first flight. I finally got some shots today. I kit bashed some and stripped the cub stripes and tail decals off and put US stars and bars on to get a US ARMY Liason version. Yes, I know its not a L-4 but it looks great anyway. All flights so far have been in the 25 to 30 minute range. Super flyer, some what squirlly on the ground but once you get the tail flying, its fine.
Your cub looks very nice. I like the stars and bars. What AMPs and Watts are you pulling and on what prop?

My buddy has one of these but he hasnt flown it yet. I can't wait to see it fly. Do you have and video of your yet?

CTD
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 AM   #13
nautilus_3

Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.. By the way, I did check the side of the box first thing. Wouldn't you know it, my hobby shop didn't carry any of the parts mentioned. I asked for similar or equivalent parts and they couldn't help out at all... Went to a few other shops and im being quoted, between $800 and $1000 for what I need. This doesn't sound right to me.. I figured that I would need to shell out another $300 to $400. So, that's why I'm asking you experienced RCAviators for advice or tips.. Maybe a list of equivalent parts that I could go and get without having to ask the guys at the hobby shop who seem to want to rip me off.

Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
Piperfan

I would go to the horizon web site and check what they are charging for the items listed on the box. Then contact your LHS to see if there prices match. They should be the same or lower. If they are much higher then horizon's contact horizon. The LHS should be charging the same as Horizon. Otherwise they are price gouging. My LHS gave me a discount on the motor and the servos I needed, since I bought them at the same time. If you looking for a great online dealer try www.chiefaircraft.com these guys have a great selection, good pricing, same day service (usually) and know there products. If your LHS is selling lots of RC car stuff most likely you will be taken for a ride. Not all shops are like this, granted, but ground pounders just don't understand the fine art of moving in the 3 dimensional world. If you need more info let me know.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #15
Piperfan

I pull about 26 amps at full throttle. Not even close to the limit of my 40amp esc. 10x6 master airscrew E prop.

Video coming soooooonnnn!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Club: http://www.lmacky.org/
Friends: (19)

I have this cub from E-Flight and took it out this morning for a test run. I found that it would not track straight on the ground. It kept wanting to turn left. I did a little adjusting and found that the more throttle I gave it the worse it got. I went ahead and gave it more throttle got the tail flying and the turn to the left was worse (although the rudder was set for turning to the right) It doesn't appear that either of the main gears were dragging. My strip to take off from is asphalt and does slope downhill (to the right as you stand behind the plane) In short I never did give it full throttle and put it in the air for fear of not being able to get a straight landing. I used everything recommended by E-Flight. Any suggestions or ideals would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #17
Piperfan

This is pretty common with tail draggers. What prop size are you using? I recommend a 10x6. Any larger will creat to much force. The enertial forces set up by the motor and prop spinning without sufficient airflow over the control surfaces will allow this sitiation to accure. I also recommend having sufficient rudder deflection to compensate for this. On take off, I have my radio set for High rate with a good amount of exponential on Elevator and rudder. Asphalt makes tail draggers do this even more. Use the grass!! Hence the need for hi rates on the elevator once you get moving the grass will create friction on the wheels and make the nose want to rotate forward. Its a fine line in control once you get the tail in the air. I find most pilots just give it full throttle and attempt take off. You would not find a full scale pilot doing this? Why would a model plane do this? Its a common pilot error that is usually learned as a beginner and not broken. A good instructor will tell you not to do that. If you are advancing throttle to fast, try easing your throttle forward to initiate forward roll and then increase slowly till the plan is moving briskly. at that time give a small ( minimal amount) of down elevator to get the tail off and then steer with the rudder to the right to compensate for the engine forces wanting to send the plane to the right. Hope this helps to get it in the air.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I have a composite 12 x 6 thin electric prop. This is the prop recomended by Horizon hobbies and the kit. At about half throttle the tail comes up and I can control it but when I pull the trottle back it turns sharp. I suspected the torque was causing this to happen. I can get the tail in the air and could get off the ground easy enough but fear how the plane will react on landing. The grass in this area is too tall to attempt a take off (but will cushion a botched landing). I guess I'll have to just suck-it-up put the plane in the air and hope for the best. It's a very nice plane and should have some good flight charcteristics but with the costs involved I was taking it very carefully and slowly wanting to make sure I get many more flights out of this plane.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #19
Piperfan

Horizon recommends a 12x6 but its to big a prop for the plane, Try a master airscrew 10x6 or 10X8. While I have some left turn tendency on take off, its not that bad. On landing the plane will have sufficient airspeed to over come any left turn tendency. Besides, you will be coasting to a stop. I do touch and goes all during my flight (10 to 15 off a grass strip) with only a few incendents of left hand turning. That 12 in prop is to big. If you want unlimited vertical, I am sure its great. Besides the MA is a nicer looking prop. APC works good but they don't look very nice. I put APC's on my sport planes, but not my scale jobs. Don't you find that the prop is close to striking? Don't want to do that with a out runner motor too often. That will kill it quick or break a shaft. As mentioned, use the grass. All tail draggers do better on and off grass. I know several full size tail dragger pilots and they prefer grass all the time over asphalt. If you don't have grass cut short though, you will be stuck use the hard stuff. Be careful, be gentle and above all have fun.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
BradFish1

Piperfan,
Did you use an MA electric 10x6? I bought one and it won't seat on the shaft right. The APC has a recessed area in back that allows it to seat properly. I'd like to use the MA, as it does look better, but it won't fit without destroying the prop.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #21
BradFish1

Piperfan,
Did you use an MA electric 10x6? I bought one and it won't seat on the shaft right. The APC has a recessed area in back that allows it to seat properly. I'd like to use the MA, as it does look better, but it won't fit without destroying the prop.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #22
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

View vax6335's Gallery12
Club: Fort Wayne Flying Circuits
Send a message via AIM to vax6335 Send a message via MSN to vax6335 Send a message via Yahoo to vax6335
Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

At our Annual Electric fly this past weekend we had an auction to help raise money for the club. I ended up placing the high bid for one of these Eflite cubs, $100. I'll have to save up some money for the motor and battery, but this will be my 3rd Cub, I also have a .40 and a Parkzone Cub. Hopefully I'll get it ready to go soon, glad it's got good reviews here.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #23
Piperfan

I had to ream the back side of the prop some with a prop reamer. I have several left over from my glow days. I only reamed out the bottom half of the prop. Its a simple proceedure if your careful. And yes, you could go all the way thru. If you do you can always buy some brass tubing to and cut off a small bit to shim the outer section. MA also has wood E props. I am installing one today and will take some pix at the field soon. The wood will really add another nice scale touch. Let me know ify ou have more questions. Happy flying.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #24
BradFish1

Piperfan,
Where are you getting the wood electric prop? I don't see them on the MA website or Tower.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #25
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I used the MA Electric 10 X 6 and yes experienced the same issues getting it to fit. However I work as an engineer and have done machining by trade so it was a simple matter to ream it out to the proper size while keeping the hole centered and the prop balanced.

I too am interested in where to find the wood E-props.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft