Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Voodoo101

Club: Kalamazoo Thunderbirds
Friends: (0)
Default Hello from Kalamazoo MI

Hello, as I said, I'm in Kalamazoo and a member of the Kalamazoo Thunderbirds. I'm a returning pilot. I've been away from RC for about 10 years. Time enough for many things to change.

My grandson found out that I knew how to fly RC and asked if I would teach him. That's about all it took to get me started. We have about 8 micro aircraft and three of the mid size foamies from Horizon Hobby.

By the way I think those guys at HH are pretty great. I'm not used to the new hi-tec radios and everything else that goes along with electric aircraft, but everytime I call they've got an answer and they're so patient and helpful.

Right now I'm in the process of assembling a PKZ P-47 Thunderbolt. Seems like a great aircraft and I think it'll fly great. I've been flying the HZ SC LP, with a E-flite Park 450 under the cowl. Last week I flew my PKZ P-51 BL, with a Park 480 in the nose. The P-51 is one heck of a flyer and the Park 480 just makes it better.

That's about it. I look forward to helping and being helped by others on this fourm in the future.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Sounds like you are having a great time. How is your Grandson doing with the flying? Is he a master pilot yet? How old is he?

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
Voodoo101

He's pretty excited about it all. He's 12, and doesn't have much experience yet. He's been busy with the Phoenix flight simulator. He does pretty good with the sim and likes the 3D planes. I told him that's going to be a ways down the road. He seems to have a case of nerves with the real thing. He doesn't have much stick time, but that'll change with better weahter on the way.

We're doing the buddy box thing with Spectrum radios. Only real problem is that last weekend, grandpa put the SC LP in the weeds nose first. It's all fixed up now, and I don't expect it to happen again. I took my eye off the plane and was talking to another pilot in the pits. Not a good thing to do. Especially when you're setting up for a low pass down the runway. I was making my turn from base to final when one of the wise guys made a comment. Totally my fault but the new cowl has FLAMES...so it's cool with my grandson.

Spring can turn to summer any time....and I can hardly wait. I think I'm having a harder time with that than my grandson is.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
offtom
Megans Servant

View offtom's Gallery6
Club: Maggie Mae's Menagerie
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (6)

Welcome back Voodoo.

Great to hear the grandson is so interested in this wonderful hobby and you're ready to teach him. Sounds like you and him are going to spend a lot of quality time together............making memories.

Cheesy poofs are what Yankees get when they eat Southen Food!! bub, steve
Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Assignment for the simulator:

Take-off, circle the field, line up for the landing and land.

Until he can do it 20 times in a row without a misshap, that is all he should do.

Be sure he is using the throttle to control altitude more than the elevator.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
Voodoo101

Yup, we've been doing that. He does a lot of landing practice trying to get the flare just right. But you know a 12 yo. after a while he wants to go fast. But when we have the time, I see improvment each session.

Thanks for the post. He really needs to work on circling the field with good throttle control.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners