Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Ron Miller

Friends: (0)
Default Harbor Freight Cub Upgrade

OK, a newbie here with what's probably a no-brainer for you guys who've been into electric planes for a while. Me, it's been 25 or so years since I was into RC, then with the glow engines.

I've been flying a HobbyZone SuperCub LP recently, getting back into RC planes. No problems, plenty of power, and I've been able to get it up and back down with only minor incidents, getting better thanks to practice and FMS!

I had a friend pick up a Harbor Freight Cub for me recently, powered by a brushed motor turning a 7X2 prop, and an 8.4 volt 600 mah nimh battery pack. It's about a 38" wingspan and around 16 ounces or so AUW. I've replaced the receiver with an AR6200 that came with my Spektrum 6 channel in order to rid myself of the weird transmitter that came with the Cub, and was about to upgrade the power system to the following:

Motor: Turnigy TR 28-26 1650 KV Brushless Outrunner
Battery: Turnigy 1300 mah 3S 20C Lipo pack
ESC: Turnigy AE-25A Brushless ESC

And, planned on running a 7X4 Prop with this setup. I'm pretty sure this would work, my AUW will be somewhere around 16-18 ounces with this as I'm figuring.

But, I'm also wondering if merely upgrading the ESC with a $5.00 brushed ESC from Turnigy, a Prop upgrade to about a 7x4, and a 11.4 Volt Lipo battery with 800 to 1,000 mah capacity would also be satisfactory, at a lesser cost. I'm not interested in enough power for stunt flying or being able to go "vertical", just getting safely off the ground and flying around at cruising speed. But, I am interested in getting enough power to the system to eliminate the stalls experienced by a lot of folks before flying speed is reached when hand launching.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Club: Central Delaware Parkflyers Association
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (13)

I have that same plane. I used it to teach me son to fly. When it was time for me to upgrade I went with an Eflite Park 400 motor with a 25A ESC, 1500mah lipo swinging a 8x6 slowflyer prop. I ended up with a 9x6 slowflyer prop. Performance is more than adequate. Its able to do several consecutive loops with ease. I also had to add weight to the nose to make up the difference from brushed to brushless motor and lipos are much lighter than NiMh.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	139636

A.M.A Park Pilot Partner / Wattflyer Mentor
Old 11-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Ron Miller

Thanks Newjak, appreciate the information. I'm really interested in learning whether either, or both of the combinations I've listed above are workable. If so, I can upgrade for about $15.00 for the brushed upgrade, around $35.00 for the brushless.

If neither of these is gonna work, I'll probably look at something different, or learn to fly it as it was delivered. I had initially planned to convert to brushless and I noticed that Nitroplanes has the upgraded Cub (same body as the Harbor Freight Cub) with a Lipo battery for a few dollars more, with a brushless motor. It's described as a 2410 Brushless Motor 1200KV, and the system can be seen at http://www.nitroplanes.com/gl401-j3-brushless.html.

But, if I can get by with upgrading the present brushed motor with a new battery, ESC, and prop, I'll probably go that route. Anybody have any thoughts on these???

Old 12-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
onepoint

I have a Hobby King version 2410 in 860kv(lower kv means less rpm/bigger prop). A good motor as economy equipment goes. Actually for $6 ya can't beat it with a stick! I had an IPS geared brushed setup- replaced with the 2410. Go brushless. Lighter, more efficient, more powerful. Lipos too. The weight you save is precious.
Finally, check this out. Notice it has the 2410.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15131
Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Ron Miller

Thanks onepoint, good information. Looks like a great candidate!!

R
Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
flyingbumma

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

View dmmalish's Gallery14
Club: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=221090112030
Send a message via AIM to dmmalish
Friends: (6)

i did one of those a few years back here is the thread it lasted awhile till i beat the heck out of it.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...light=steroids

Old 12-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Ron Miller

Wow, dmallish! That looks like a stump puller, OK.

I've converted mine to 2.4ghz radio system, just waiting now on a new 3 cell Lipo and ESC from Hong Kong, should be shipping any day now. I'm gonna try that with the existing brushless motor before I do any further mods. I'm really just interested in slightly more power to get her off the ground, throttle back and cruise.

We'll see . . . . . . . . and thanks for the post.

Ron

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies