Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
sportster20

Friends: (1)
Default Scratch Build Giant Scale Foam Biplane

I have just finished building a giant foam RC Biplane. This is actually a giant scale version of a plane I have designed and build in many different sizes. It is without a doubt the slowest outdoor plane I have seen with the exception of 3d planes in harrier or hover.

When I finished the plane I found that it needed a bigger propeller to be efficient at the speeds it would travel. I could not find the prop I wanted so I carved one out of poplar from home depot. I dropped the voltage from 6 cells down to 3 cells and propped up.

The plane has an 80 inch span, an 8 foot length and sits over 2 feet high. It flies right now on only 600 watts max on a 3 cell lipo pack. The motor flying it is only a 40 sized Turnigy 42-60 from Hobby City.

About 15 amps or 150 watts are necessary to maintain flight. It lifts of and climbs easily on 250 watts.

Total weight with 2 4000 mah 3 cell packs in parallel is about 8.2 lbs. Total area is 3520 inches square or 24.4 sq ft.

I am posting pictures below and will post some video of early flights tomorrow.

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-12-05 Giant Bipe 003.jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	115156

Name:	2009-12-05 Giant Bipe 010.jpg
Views:	3996
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	115157 Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-12-05 Giant Bipe 013.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	115158

Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
sportster20

Default Video of the Giant Bipe

I attempted to add a youtube link to this discussion but was told I had to have a post count of 3 or greater. I guess I'll add the link to video tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Thanked 2,173 Times in 2,081 Posts
Club: Chino Renegades RC Flying Club
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (313)

Nice job Michael Thats a big Bi Plane it looks cute too, Is it a 3 channel, i did not see any ailerons on it, it makes my giant 80" scratch built Bi Plane look small by compairson keep up the nice work, Chellie

PS. my friend Steve is doing the maiden flight and i am doing one of the Maiden videos

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42680

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWepNtYW8gs

http://www.vimeo.com/3917006

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Ambassador Award  100mph Speed Demon 

Super nice job Making the prop too, thats looks sweet

I may be getting Older, But I Refuse to grow Up I am Having to much Fun to Grow Up LOL
Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

my Bi Plane flies with a 5 cell lipo and a 3520-7 towerpro motor, and a 15x4 apc prop, with a 80 amp esp, it draws 980 watts almost 1 KV
its slow and fun to fly, Take care, Chellie

Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
sportster20

I only use three channels. This plane is too big and heavy to be very aerobatic, but the smaller versions can really get arround on 3 channels.

This is very slow and easy to fly.

Your biplane looks fun to fly. The video's look great.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
sportster20

Default Video of early flights

Here is the link to a youtube video of the early flights:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SlowBipe#p/u/0/IBEgB9K7QxY

I think this gives new meaning to low and slow.

Michael
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

View CHELLIE's Gallery13
Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by sportster20 View Post
I only use three channels. This plane is too big and heavy to be very aerobatic, but the smaller versions can really get arround on 3 channels.

This is very slow and easy to fly.

Your biplane looks fun to fly. The video's look great.
Its a lot of fun to fly Everybody at the field loves it, It sure took me a long time to make it, as this was my first ever giant plane, and i did not know what to expect, I just learned as i went along Take care and have fun, Chellie

Old 12-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

View Larry3215's Gallery63
Club: Kitsap ARCS & E-FLAPS
Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 
Friends: (21)

Thats awesome Michael!

Do you have any build pics?

Im curious about how its made. Type of foam, internal structure, battery access, which servos, etc.

Are the wings removable?

Ive been wanting to do a big bipe in this size range for a long time but Im not happy with the set up and tear down times. To fit in my truck, the wings need to be removable but more importantly, they need to be fast to assemble and disassemble at the field.

Ive got some ideas but Id love to see what you came up with.

I think I need a signature.
Larry
Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

View EDFrules's Gallery65
Club: I wouldn't be part of any club that would have me!
Awards Showcase

3kW 
Friends: (9)

Do what Oxai models does with their pattern bipes. They have 3 long pins with a 90 deg. bend at the end. There's 3 holes from the front of the wing thru the cabanes/center strut. Of course the bottom wing gets 2 mounting bolts into fuse and then snap cabanes in and then push holding pins thru. They just use some Scotch tape to hold the pins into place and viola-plane is ready to fly. Dang good idea!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	200808130314109.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	115255   Click image for larger version

Name:	200808130315018 a.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	115256  

GoBrushless.com/3DHobbyshop.com
Shulman Aviation.com
Fusion-Pack.com /blakehilson.com http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
sportster20

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Thats awesome Michael!

Do you have any build pics?

Im curious about how its made. Type of foam, internal structure, battery access, which servos, etc.

Are the wings removable?

Ive been wanting to do a big bipe in this size range for a long time but Im not happy with the set up and tear down times. To fit in my truck, the wings need to be removable but more importantly, they need to be fast to assemble and disassemble at the field.

Ive got some ideas but Id love to see what you came up with.
Larry,

I did not take any pictures as I was building. I guess I didn't think of it at the time. I can give you a description, and some future pictures of the plane.

I have built multiple sizes of this plane. I call the original version the SlowBipe and plan to sell it in kit form and ready to fly. It is just taking me a bit to get it started. It is hands down the best trainer airplane I have seen.

I am considering kitting the giant bipe, or the next version of it to make it easy for someone to build. If I did, I would shrink it down just a bit to solve several problems:

1. Easier to Ship
2. A little less weight to gain better performance on a little less motor.
3. Easier for the owner to transport to the field.
4. Easier to balance
5. Better control coming out of a dive on the back side of a loop.

I am also looking at better ways to plug in the wings.

The size I am considering is 72" ws rather than the current 80" and 7' 4" length.

The current plane takes me about 10 minutes to assembly for flight by plugging in the lower wings, banding on the upper wing and adding the struts. I then drop in the rudder, screw on the tailwheel and insert the elevator. I hook up the pull pull controls to the tail and am ready to go.

The fuse is a box structure with very few formers. The servo's are right in the nose and hot glued to a block that is glued to the side of the fuse. I used fishing line to attach servo's from nose to tail.

The rudder is an old (10 years at least) futaba standard servo. Elevator is a metal geared futaba mini.

I use a full sized receiver. Almost all of the construction is 1/2 inch dow blue insulation.

Let me know if you might be interested in a kit. I do plan to come up with a better method of plugging in the wings in the next version. The top wing at 80" x 22" is rather large to transport.

Thanks, Michael
Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
dsmmike

Send a message via AIM to dsmmike

wow that plane literally just floats along!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

90 Minute Thermal Duration  60 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration  4kW 

It flys awesome Michael! I love the slooooooow flight and the ability to fly it low-n-slow-n-close in.

Im very glad to see another giant scale foamy. More people should be building in this scale. Its not that much more expensive than the mid sized foamies and actually easier to build in many ways.

If they realized how much fun it is, I think we would see lots more of them

Thanks for the build details by the way. Im not at all interested in a kit though. Im a scratch builder at heart

I am curious about your wheels though. Are they built up foam or ?

I like it a lot!

Larry
Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Larry3215

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by EDFrules View Post
Do what Oxai models does with their pattern bipes. They have 3 long pins with a 90 deg. bend at the end. There's 3 holes from the front of the wing thru the cabanes/center strut. Of course the bottom wing gets 2 mounting bolts into fuse and then snap cabanes in and then push holding pins thru. They just use some Scotch tape to hold the pins into place and viola-plane is ready to fly. Dang good idea!
Thats a great idea! Im definitely going to keep it in mind when I do my next bipe. Thanks!

Larry
Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #15
Pop-Ralph

Friends: (0)

I like the looks of this plane.I would like to see a kit or plans for large and small! I will PM my email for future info regarding all.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

View EDFrules's Gallery65
Club: I wouldn't be part of any club that would have me!
Awards Showcase

3kW 
Friends: (9)

Should have said uses 5 locking pins-2 for the bottom of the cabanes. Naruke-San is THE MASTER when it comes to building. Most perfect flying planes in the world and the most perfectly constructed. My inspiration among others!
Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Thats a great idea! Im definitely going to keep it in mind when I do my next bipe. Thanks!

GoBrushless.com/3DHobbyshop.com
Shulman Aviation.com
Fusion-Pack.com /blakehilson.com http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Old 07-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
hankg

Chellie,

I knew I wasn't going insane! Sportster 20's was the large bipe I remembered. I knew you would have the info if anyone would. Starting to think you "bought the farm" via that Puma that was walking around on your roof a while ago.

Regards,

Hankg
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
sportster20

Smile

Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Chellie,

I knew I wasn't going insane! Sportster 20's was the large bipe I remembered. I knew you would have the info if anyone would. Starting to think you "bought the farm" via that Puma that was walking around on your roof a while ago.

Regards,

Hankg
Hank,

I'm the one who did the post on the giant bipe back in December. Since then I have posted lots of stuff on RCGroups, but not much here.

Take a look at my build thread for the latest big plane, it's designed for fpv and works wonderfully.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=twinbipe

I am building the bipe in several sizes. Right now we are selling the 28" version very successfully from our website at www.slowbipe.com. I hope to have a 42" fpv pusher or this 56" Twin available for sale soon in kit form. Attached is a picture of the twin during the build, but the build thread has much more including video and aerial video.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010-06-26 TwinBipe 019.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	132108  
Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
hankg

Sportster20,

Your planes are ingenious!

Regards,

Hankg
Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #20
MTDV

Thanks for sharing your video with us. It looks and flies awesome.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #21
old grump

Angry Slobipe or stuntbipe

WELL THEY FINALLY GOT THE STUNTBIPE IN STOCK LAST WEEK SO I QUICKLY ORDERED ONE,A FEW HOURS LATER THEY WERE GONE. AGAIN . THAT was on 2/14 . it went to OCALA ,2/15 it went to JACKSONVILLE , then to PHILA. on 2/16 ,10 miles from home in NJ , Then they sent it to DES MOINS IA ON 2/18 . CRAZY IT"S NOW 2/21 ,still no plane. THE OLD GRUMP
Old 02-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #22
old grump

Angry Slobipe or stuntbipe

Well,finally got delivery after ten days, BUT they forgot to put the WINGS in the box. So now i'm waiting again. It would have been faster to drive to Florida to pick it up. THE OLD GRUMP
Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #23
old grump

Angry Slow PRIORITY MAIL

IT's Feb. 26th and STILL no Missing wing set for STUNT BIPE from HEADSUP ,who said they sent it PRIORITY MAIL FIVE DAYS AGO!! Usually get stuff from them VERY FAST ?? ordered STUNT BIPE 15 days ago. THAT was sent to Des Moins IA. By mistake by USPS. Hope the wings that were missing from box didn't suffer same fate. THE OLD GRUMP
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #24
old grump

Unhappy stuntbipe

Finally got the wings. Ready to go, It didn't look windy today so tried to fly stuntbipe ,bad mistake, Way too much rudder ,even though i set throws as low as i could get them it was too sensitive. Took off from ground, got two feet in the air and it rolled over and crashed. Was a soft slow crash,i thought but body cracked in two places,wings fell off ( As they were designed to do.)Prop broke, stab cracked . And that was a soft slow crash on grass. Actually body was already cracked at rear of bottom wing slot. I will try again when we get a day with NO wind. THE OLD GRUMP
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #25
Moki210

wow. great job on the carved prop.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies

Tags
foam biplane slow giant