Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Sam_K

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (0)
Default What exactly does Mode 1 / Mode 2 transmitter mean?

Hi all,

Complete noob to RC here, I've had a Silverlit X-Twin for about two weeks and have been bitten by the RC flyer bug pretty hard.

Been doing a lot of reading on the Internet and have come across a few mentions of Mode 1 and Mode 2 transmitters.

From the limited info I've read, my understanding is that Mode 1 has the throttle on the right stick and Mode 2 has the throttle on the left stick of the controller.

Can someone please explain to me (or provide a link that explains) exactly what the differences are between Mode 1 and Mode 2 controllers?

Also, is the mode something that is hard wired into your typical controller or is the mode typically changeable by the user? I notice that the sales info for a lot of transmitters doesn't mention what mode they are so I am thinking it can be selected by the user during set-up?

I personally prefer Mode 2 (throttle on the left stick). Are there any surprises I should look out for when choosing a transmitter? Or can I typically expect to have any recent model of controller operate in mode 2?
Old 04-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 

Sam,

Check this out here.

Any computer transmitter can change modes to either 1 or 2. BTW, where are you located? That can determine typical mode selections.

Frank

Frank
Old 04-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Sam_K

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Thanks Murocflyuer, that is exactly what I needed!

When you say any "computer transmitter" can change modes, I assume you are referring to the more expensive transmitters that typically have an LCD screen on them?

What about cheaper 4 and 6 channel transmitters that don't have an LCD screen like the JR Quattro? Are they usually hard wired into a single mode?

Also, I am in Sydney, Australia. I just updated my user profile to show it.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot  AV Contest  AP Contest Winner 

Originally Posted by Sam_K View Post
Thanks Murocflyuer, that is exactly what I needed!

When you say any "computer transmitter" can change modes, I assume you are referring to the more expensive transmitters that typically have an LCD screen on them?

What about cheaper 4 and 6 channel transmitters that don't have an LCD screen like the JR Quattro? Are they usually hard wired into a single mode?

Also, I am in Sydney, Australia. I just updated my user profile to show it.

Sam,

A computer radio will look like this. They are really not much more expensive than the non computer radios for what options you get with them.

Here is a link to a good online store.

I really don't know about those radios you mentioned. Sorry. I'm sure someone can answer that for you shortly. I also don't know what mode you guys fly on in Australia either. I'm sure someone else can help you out with that also. Sorry I haven't been much help. :o

Frank
Old 04-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

From the guys I've talked to it seems that Mode 1 is most common in Australia....and of course flying the same mode as everyone around you makes it easier to get help when you need it.

Steve
Old 04-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Bundy_90
Insomnia

Send a message via AIM to Bundy_90 Send a message via MSN to Bundy_90

Yea, the throttle is diffrent on mode 1 and mode 2.

Buy the thing that is common where you are from, easier to get help, like slipstick said.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #7
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

If you are in a different part of the world, you may be flying mode 1, 3 or 4. I live in North America where Mode 2 is the standard.

Note that I mention Mode 2, which is marked with the * below.

Left stick ...............Right Stick ..................Mode

Pitch and Yaw .......Speed and Roll ..............1

Speed and Yaw*......Pitch and Roll*..............2*

Pitch and Roll ..........Speed and Yaw ...........3

Speed and Roll ........Pitch and Yaw .............4

For a power plane, landing gear, flaps and other such functions are assigned
to switches, buttons, dials, sliders or levers, but are not defined as part of the mode definitions.

For a two stick radio, used in mode two format, the standard format in North
America, pitch and roll are on the right stick with roll ALWAYS being your
primary turning control. Yaw and speed control are on the left stick.

Based on mode 2 it is very easy to move from a dual stick to a single stick radio as the right, or the only stick, always have has your primary fight controls if pitch and roll.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 04-30-2007, 03:08 AM   #8
Sam_K

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Thanks for the replies all.

I went to my local club yesterday and sure enough nearly all of the guys there fly mode 1. However there is one guy there who flys mode 2 and has not only offered to teach me but also offered to lend me his spare transmitter ujntil I make up my mind about what TX to buy.

I have spent quite a bit of time flying flight sims on my computer with a Thrustmaster Afterburner 2 joystick which is a 4 axis joystick that has separate joystick and throttle modules for each hand.

When flying flight sims on my computer I have Rudder and Elevator on the X and Y axis of the joystick in my right hand, and Ailerons and Throttle on the X and Y axis of the Throttle pod under my left hand (X-Axis is an analogue rocker on the back of the throttle's T-handle)

This is actually the equivalent of Mode 3, which makes Mode 1 the complete opposite of what I am used to. Mode 2 is closer to mode 3 as it just swaps the positions of the rudder and ailerons.

Am I going to be really struggling to "unlearn" long standing habits if I go with Mode 1?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Sam_K

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

I have looked carefully through the manuals of the Spektrum DX6, DX7 and the JR XP662 and XP6102 transmitters. These are all computerised TXs but none of them mention anywhere in the manual about being able to change the "Mode" of the controller. In fact at modelflight.com.au they sell two different versions of the DX7 a Mode 1 version and a separate Mode 2 version.

Also I have read threads like this one that pretty much confirm that it is not user selectable.

This leads me to believe that the advice that the Mode could be changed on any computerised TX is not correct, and that the truth is that most TXs have their mode set at the factory and cannot be changed at all. Can I get some other opinions on this?

If this is the case then it looks like I may have no choice but to go with a Mode 1 controller. Since Mode 1 is the norm in Australia, I assume most shops would only be importing mode 1 for most TX models and if I wanted a mode 2 TX then my options would be drastically reduced.

In fact the Spektrum DX7 is the only TX I can find (at an Australian store) that is advertised as being available in Mode 2 format. There may be others but I suspect they are few and far between.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
Bundy_90
Insomnia

Send a message via AIM to Bundy_90 Send a message via MSN to Bundy_90

I would get an mode 1 transmitter, because then people can help you. Considered buying a sim and using mode 1 on it? To re-learn the controllers.

I always though you could change the mode on computer transmitters,
Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Trev

Default Mode 1 or 2 in Aus

Sam

reading your comments in this thread is exactly what I have been going through as well. It was like reading my own thoughts.

As a fellow aussie and n00b to flying, I too have done many an hour on PC simulators and have become very comfortable with standard joystick controls, similar to Mode 2. I tried Mode 1 on FMS and it was impossible. I switched back to Mode 2 and life became easy and predictable again.

So I say, if you like Mode 2, then go with it. What are you going to think to yourself when your mode 2 brain using a mode 1 TX slams your plane in the ground out of instinct to throttle up, however you down aileron instead.

I have just purchased a HZ Super Cub and a PZ Spitfire. Both came as Mode 1 even though all the documentation (being US) shows the single stick mode 2 radio.

The 5-AP Radio that came with the Spitty is brilliant (for a cheapie) as I was able to convert it totally to Mode 2 by Swapping the Throttle/Aileron wiring and swapping the ratchet/spring devices. Took about 20 mins with the aid of a Phillips screwdriver, some needle-nose pliers, and a soldering iron.

With the Super Cub you don't have that choice as it comes with 2 single axis sticks with no option to have a 2 axis gimbal. Plus a silly slider on the back for the throttle! aaagh!

Call me crazy but in desperation I have ordered a JR Quattro Radio only (the cheapest quality 4 ch type available) and for at least the first months of teaching ourselves to fly, I am going to carefully remove the PCB and wire in (in Mode 2 format) the one from the Super Cub radio. The extra bonus is that the Quattro comes with a recharable battery which is the correct voltage for the Cub radio. Goodbye AAs.

Now I know what you're thinking, why not convert the whole thing over to JR Propo stuff. Well the cost, for now anyway. It will still be an option down the track. Plus we wanted to keep the X-Port function available for the Drop Module.

so either we are both mad for breaking the aussie "way" or we are just going with what feels right. At the end of the day, suit yourself, not everyone else.

That's my 2 bob's...

http://blis.kicks-ass.net/rc.htm
Old 05-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Sam_K

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Thanks for sharing your experience Trev, glad to hear I am not alone.

FYI I am still just as undecided and have not bought anything yet.

Since my last post in this thread I had kind of comitted myself to the idea of going with Mode 1 and just having to sit through the un-learning / re-learning process on a flight sim before I tried to fly real planes with it. But every time I've thought about it since then it's just seemed like a real arse-about way of doing things.

Especially since this is coming from a guy who has often spent big money on sophisticated game control devices (steering wheels, custom keyboards, etc) for my PC so that I could have things EXACTLY the way I wanted it when playing my favourite games.

To now be told there is only one way to control RC planes, and that that method is counter-intuitive to me, is a real kick in the teeth. Especially when I am probably going to spend more money on a TX than I've ever spent on a single PC game controller.

Personally I'm quite surprised that the mode of a controller is not easily selectable, at the very least the manufacturers wouldn't have to make different modes for different countries. I guess there just aren't enough other people who care about it.

I know that many controllers can be changed over with a bit of basic soldering skills and some common sense, but I like having my warranty so this would be an absolute last resort option for me.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
Trev

Sam,
while I am clearly no expert, from what I have read the computer radios can be programmed to do about any function on any axis. I think the problem is more mechanical.
Throttles don't have a centering spring setup, whereas elevators do.

To swap these is going to require the mechanical components interchanging in same way, there is no external solution I know of.

When I looked inside the PZ TX, there was provision on both gimbals for either mode. I imagine they would all be similar, although you are right, it would void warrenty

Good luck with your decision

Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Sam,
while I am clearly no expert, from what I have read the computer radios can be programmed to do about any function on any axis.
This is not true of most transmitters. Many functions are tied to specific sticks, dials or switches.

Some allow you to move things around on switches.

Some allow you to reassign the throttle/speed control stick to flaps for gliders.

Some will allow you to change between mode 1 and 2 and some will even support mode 3 or 4.

Very Very Very few will allow you to move the basic functions around at will.

My point is, don't assume that any particular computer radio will do any of this without checking the manual or speaking to someone who knows or you may be disappointed. As price goes up so does function and flexability but capabilities still vary.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org
Old 05-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #15
Sam_K

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
don't assume that any particular computer radio will do any of this without checking the manual or speaking to someone who knows or you may be disappointed.
Thanks for confirming this AEAJR, it is pretty much the conclusion I had come to anyway. The assumption I have been running with so far is that if I can't find detailed instructions in the user manual then it can't be done.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
kaindub

Sam
I'm just a few kilometers south of you!
A couple of things.
I just bought a second hand computer radio (JR) and it indeed does easily change from Mode 1 to 2 to 3 or 4. Its just real hard to find it in the manual and its a set and forget type setup. The only thing you have to do inside the transmitter is to chage the ratchet device.
The old analog type radios are easy to change modes on but requires a little dexterity fishing out springs (if you pull one apart you'll understand).
I started off this year learning on a sim to fly. I had a great planes box which came from the US and was on mode 2. When I cheked out the local clubs 99% of the people flew mode 1. So I swapped the box to Mode 1 and in 1 hour relearnt how to fly.
I'd persist with your learning. Whilst there may be 1 guy in the club now to help you what happens if he leaves? Whilst it may be 'unnatural' to you now you will get flying quicker if you have plenty of people to help you.
Also if you fly a different mode to others you will not have the opportunity to test fly their planes.
Robert
Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
Sam_K

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

Thanks for the info Kaindub.

Exactly which model of JR radio is that? When you say it easily changes modes easily, is it just a setting in the computer or are you actually changing wires around inside the controller?

I assume changing the ratchet device entails opening the transmitter which also typically voids warranty. Is this a correct assumption?

Obviously for your 2nd hand unit this is not a concern but it will be for me as I intend to buy a new unit and I expect to have a full warranty.

I am heartened to hear that your experience of getting used to mode 1 was an quick and easy. Also I take your points on the advantages of using the same thing as everyone else.

However I just found out today that a long time friend of my parents is actually a hardcore RC nut who has 17 planes and several helicopters in his fleet. He also flies mode 2 and is keen to show off his planes to me. So it seems that willing mode 2 teachers are not that hard to come by for me.

In the end though, I am still really confused as to what I should do. So many pros and cons...
Old 05-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #18
kaindub

Sam
the radio I got is a JR X2610 (same as XP6102)
There are two changes required for a Mode change - one is a programming change through the front panel, the second is to move the ratchet and centering device on the gimbal. There is no wiring changes.
All the computer radios are the same in terms of being able to change modes. But you will find that they are set up for Mode 1 if you buy in Oz and Mode 2 if you buy in US.
Look these things are designed to be changed so you will not void the warranty provided you don't do anything stupid. If in doubt get the LHS to change it for you before you take it away.
Look I have to reinterate - go with the flow.
So far you have identified 2 guys you know who fly Mode 2. That puts them in somewaht of a minority to the thousnads of flyers in Oz who fly Mode 1.

At the end of the day you will learn to fly whatever you feel comfortable with. There is no one better mode (each has its pros and cons).
However you will need help to learn to fly, so will your 2 friends be around forever? You will always find a Mode 1 flyer at any club in Oz.
Robert
Old 05-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #19
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

And trust me it can be a pain being on the "wrong" mode. In the UK the modes vary by area so I learnt on Mode 2 but having moved I'm now about the only Mode 2 flier in a Mode 1 club. It means I can't easily get any help trimming out a new model or with learning new stuff or with test flying planes which are a bit much for me.

Of course another way of looking at it is that it makes you more self-reliant (and you get more practise repairing models ).

Steve
Old 06-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #20
Sam_K

Awards Showcase

Globetrotter Pilot 

As a final update to this thread, I went out and bought a Mode 1 Spektrum DX7 yesterday and guess what...

You can take the back off the TX and change the mode easily without voiding your warranty. I talked to the guy at the shop and he even offered to change it over right there on the spot if I wanted it.

But I think I have made up my mind to stay with Mode 1 and be compatible with the other people I will be flying with.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:15 AM   #21
Barry F

I know this thread has been 'dead' for over a year but I just wanted to say that it was exactly what I was looking for!

I'm just starting out on this RC Helicopter adventure and have decided to begin learing with a simulator. And the first question which I was faced with was what mode transmitter did I want?

I was surprised to find out that different modes were more popular in different countries. I don't really understand why this should be the case but it is. And to find out that most people in Oz use Mode 1 has answered my first question.

Thank you to the previous contributors to this thread.

Barry
Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #22
Trev

Hi Barry,

well a year or so on and I have stuck with Mode 2.

I am now into Electric Helis too now and some Heli Pilots have said they wish they had gone with Mode 2 at the start as some manouvers are "easier" with the cyclic on the one stick.

From the above, you can see its purely a matter of personal preference. I just went with the mode that seemed the most familiar. Having the right stick mirroring an actual airplane joystick seemed logical, especially being right handed as well.

Trev

Old 03-19-2009, 01:29 AM   #23
Huffy01
Huffy01

Friends: (2)

Modelflight sell's both mode 1 & 2 and have noticed that mode 2 is cheaper for some brand's.
I also noticed that if you get a RTF helicopter you will get a mode 2 transmitter and with aeroplane you get mode 1 .
I've been looking at getting a computer transmitter just for the reason that you can store more model's in the memory instead of having to bind everytime I want to use a different model.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
akaleus

I found this great article on the differences of all the modes... good illustrations too.

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-...ter-modes.html
Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
undinism

Hello, I am extremely new to RC helicopters. Used my father in-laws coaxial mini one during the week. It has absolutely got me HOOKED!! I've done a bit of researched, worked out a kit + parts I am going to make for a hk 450 kit for my first RC heli. The only thing I really have left is deciding to purchase a dx6i mode 1 or 2 tx'er. Thing is, the info I found really hasn't helped me exactly. I'm in information overload at moment (plus I suffer from 24/7 pain, mild to extreme from a ~4 yr old motorbike accident) so there is no more reseach for me until tomorrow morning, 11:30PM here.

I'd love to purchase a tx'er tomorrow to complete my orders which will be on their way to me. The basics I 'like' is, I'd like to elevate the helicopter higher and lower using the left stick, (higher and lower I assume), and I think I'd like to use forward/back of the heli using the right stick, either higher/lower OR left/right. I just am really confused on what mode this would for me of either mode 1 or 2 (as I've read 3 + 4 are uncommon). ANY help would be hugely appreciated and hopefully I can sleep tonight whilst I am pondering this question in my head. It's "stumped" me all day in between my readings and I just can't see clear + concise info to explain it to me.

Hopefully this doesn't get people mad, I am new, suffering from almost brain meltdown just researching the various parts along with helping raise our 4.5 month old daughter in a HOT summers weekend here.

Thanks!

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners