Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Psychron

Friends: (0)
Default How To Solder - Frustrated With Different connectors

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of multiple battery connectors for these damn airplanes. I mean, I get it. It's par for the course but we don't have to be happy with or settle for it.

I personally settled on the XT60 connectors only because that's what FliteTest was offering at the beginning and at first, with the mini's they were using the xt30's but I could only find a multi port balance board for the xt60 so I cut all my xt30 connectors off and resoldered on the xt60's which I've used ever since. If I can get at the connector on the aircraft as well and convert it to XT60 permanently I will, but more often than not I use the Venom Power Uni Plug adapters they're giving away with their XT60 battery packs so I can keep using my personal stash (read 36 batteries) of xt60 configured batteries to fly my stuff.

Typically I only find the EC3 connector or the Deans T type connector on the speed controllers for the E-Flite and whoever made the Tidewater foamies I buy. All the planes I build from scratch use XT60. Anyway, when you buy a BNF or a RTF, it'll come with a battery with the connector to match the speed controller, so with a uni plug I bought from amazon for 2 bucks installed on the speed controller connector and a little soldering know how I typically just replace the end on the battery to make it an XT60

If you're interested in learning about this, here's a youtube video showing how to do it:

https://youtu.be/b3mpgGVX88Y

Again, if I could get my helping hands into the cockpit of the aircraft (maybe I can, I'll have to look into it.) I'd convert the speed controller permanently.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
formontoya

Friends: (0)

yea, my stuff has either deans or xt60...I have an adapter from xt60 to deans as my 2200 are xt60 but I fly some stuff that requires the 2200 but has a deans connector...

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
hillbille
Super Contributor

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

It sounds to me like what you guys need to do is make a "reverse" adapter - one that will plug in to a ESC and have an XT60 on it - in fact if it were me (and it is - several times over! LOL!!) I would make one for each plane, quad, or whatever that needs one. Plug it in and LEAVE it there.

Example: Female Deans soldered to a Male XT60. The female deans gets plugged in to the ESC and then it is instantly converted to an XT60!!

Same applies to EC3's, Xt30's, whatever it is!

Just a suggestion based on what works for me.

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 01-12-2017, 01:10 AM   #4
hillbille
Super Contributor

View hillbille's Gallery29
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Oh yeah - I forgot - if you are having a hard time soldering the connectors back to back - use a short section of silicone wire and make a pigtail. Sometimes this is desirable anyway in cased where the ESC plug is in a tight place and more room is needed.

Also - dremel short blocks of 1X2 to fit the connector (tightly as possible)- one for each type you want to use - then put the connectors in and back them together until they touch - solder them. Then use a single solid piece of large shink tube to cover both connectors leaving only the ends free - voila' - adapter!

Hillbille

It isn't the mistake that causes the crash - it's the time it takes to realize that it WAS a mistake!!
AMA884978 KK6NKY
Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 AM   #5
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

One reason I switched to EC3s 'way back when was because they are so easy to solder. Over time, though, I've created any number of adapters.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Batteries & Chargers