Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Ben D wing

View Ben D wing's Gallery50
Club: Leek and Moorlands Model Gliding Association.
Friends: (1)
Default Mini Blitz

Hi there, I thought you might like to see this little 20" span delta I just built. The 'Mini Blitz' was designed by Dave Ridgway and the plan published free with RCM&E back in Nov. '95. The design was originaly intended for an .049 motor, but with the availability of Lipos and brushless motors these days, I just had to try the obvious hop-up! The plane was built as plan with minor adjustments for the motor mount and battery access. The hardware is as follows:
Motor; Ultrafly C13/28H outrunner (2750Kv)
ESC; E-Pro 25
Prop; APC 5x5"
Battery; ThunderPower 1320mAh 3s Lipo
RX; HiTec 4 channel micro
Servos; E-Flite 7.5g
Covering; Solarfilm/Solartrim (Red squares cut and stuck individually!)
AUW; 10ozs. (plan quotes 13ozs for the IC version)

The Ultrafly motor is giving just over 200 Watts of power so with this sort of power to weight ratio I expect it to easily out perform my MPX FunJet!
As yet, due to commitments, I have not been able to fly this little beast, but I hope to soon after the Easter hols. I will report later!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Blitz parts.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	27721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Blitz.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	27722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic hatch fastners.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	27723   Click image for larger version

Name:	General view.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	27724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery position.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	27725  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultrafly C1328 H motor.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	27726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Servo installation.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	27727   Click image for larger version

Name:	It's this big!.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	27728  

The original Dead-Stick Dummy!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Ben D wing

View Ben D wing's Gallery50
Club: Leek and Moorlands Model Gliding Association.
Friends: (1)

Ok, I have finally managed to fly the Mini Blitz. The first thing I noticed was that I had dialled in too much reflex (maybe) and that it had a strong pull to the left (right thrust needed?) Once I had trimmed it to fly straight and level I tried full throttle in the vertical plane, wow, this little delta is much faster than my FunJet. I think 'AWESOME' is the technical term you Americans use
Anyway, further flying proved that the magnetic catches were well up to the task of holding it all together and also, that the loops weren't true and the rolls very barrely. As I found out later the amount of 'right' aileron trimmed in was resposible for these faults. The landing was, as ever with a delta, a total none event and so slow and controlable. Motor and battery were hardly luke warm afterwards proving that I had a nicely balanced set up.
All in all, a great success in converting from glow to sparks, but I will definately have to factor in some right thrust (and maybe a touch of down thrust), and I think that a 200 Watt motor is a bit OTT for this plane, 100 Watts would be nearer the mark I think!

The original Dead-Stick Dummy!
Old 12-25-2016, 06:01 AM   #3
goldguy

Friends: (0)

Just dragged out my RCM&E Nov.95' issue and the memories of all the fun I had with these lil' wonders came flooding back. I built a few of each size and they were a blast to fly, everyone had to take a turn on the box.

So, thought ELECTRONS, did a google and ended up here.

Got all the electric goodies and I'm off to the shop. Need some new toys to play with at our 43rd Annual New Years Day 'Grub n' Grog' fly-in. What's amazing is the recommended flying weight of the 20 incher is 13 ounces. I'm going to shoot for half that in EPP. That should blitz up the Blitz.

Stay tuned..................

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings