Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
Kenny28
Driver of the BEAST!

Club: http://www.acma-rc.com/
Friends: (0)
Thumbs up New to EP from the Gulf Coast

I recently started to get back into flying.I have flown some but,never got the hang of the take offs or landings.I did get lucky a few times though.I had learned to figure 8,low pass and rolls.I left the hobby and went back into drag racing several years ago.Since three years ago I had to have my left leg amputated above the knee.I had a bad gas fire in 01 that burned me 3rd degree severe over 70% of my body.Before that in 99 my wife had a brain tumor so we keep going day by day.Anyway I wasnt really comfortable with anything fuel close to batteries or power supplies so I decided to try the electric planes out.I am Totally New at this.I am looking into buying a tower trainer and mount a motor and battery in it.I do have a spektrum DX6i coming in.I seen the the conversions but,thinking maybe get a .46 size motor and maybe a 4 cell 4000 or 5000 lipo with maybe a 30 and up c burst rate.I would like to master the trainer set up and after that move the electronics to either a four star 54 or a somethin extra arf.I see so many electric motors and escs till its not funny.I did over think this one cause I can always dial it low rate but,its good to know its there in time of need.I have ran the 7.4 5000 Gen ace hard pack batteries when I had my race cars but,this air plane stuff with 11.1 and 14.8 is kinda throwing me off for a trainer.I am guessing it would be close to 6-7 lbs.I hope Im right here but,100 watts per pound(???)-Any advice and help would be appreciated.---------Oh I couldnt find a place to introduce myself on here so I hope this is ok.----I am 50 years old,been married for 25 years and we have a animal rescue.We live actually where the Ms/Al line is from the gulf north 20 minutes.I have 2 beautiful daughters and 2 handsome little grandsons.My wife is my S.O.B(Sponsor,Owner and Boss)-she is the sponsor of my race truck,the owner of it and she is the boss and says when we can afford to go.loloAnyway I am glad I found yall and just ran across yall today doing searches on converting gas planes to electric.Take good care.kenny
Old 08-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Hey Kenny, Ed Anderson has some great stickies in this forum for beginners. Be sure to read through those even though you have experience. Why not consider a smaller lighter plane made out of EPP foam that you can use your car batteries in. EPP is very durable and can handle rough landings.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 08-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Vic Z

Club: Mt Rainier RC Club
Friends: (1)

Make sure to get something that you can fix after you crash. I'd like to say if, but that's not really how this works.
Don gave very sound advice

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my planes for what I told her I paid for them
Old 08-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Kenny28
Driver of the BEAST!

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Hey Kenny, Ed Anderson has some great stickies in this forum for beginners. Be sure to read through those even though you have experience. Why not consider a smaller lighter plane made out of EPP foam that you can use your car batteries in. EPP is very durable and can handle rough landings.
I sure will read through some of them.I started last night but,ole sandman started kicking sand in the ole eyes-lololo---------I had been looking at a few of those cause I had no idea they were that tuff.I would use some of my old batteries but I got rid of them awhile back so its start all over again for me-lolo
Old 08-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Kenny28
Driver of the BEAST!

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
Make sure to get something that you can fix after you crash. I'd like to say if, but that's not really how this works.
Don gave very sound advice
Yeah I agree ,duct tape goes along way-lololo.I see your from Wa.My wife is from gig harbor.I was raised down here but,came up there to do some work and next thing I know we are married.She rode out katrina and she said no more-lolo--It looks like we have swapped weather.Its rained here everyday it seems.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Your club site looks like a good one Kenny with lots of different kinds of planes. Get something that's durable to brush back up then move into more powerful planes.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 08-08-2017, 04:40 AM   #7
Kenny28
Driver of the BEAST!

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Your club site looks like a good one Kenny with lots of different kinds of planes. Get something that's durable to brush back up then move into more powerful planes.
No doubt those guys there have me beat by a long shot.I missed seeing them for along time.I am sure gonna do exactly as you say.I sure need a slow one for sure.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners