Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-21-2016, 03:24 AM   #26
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Friends: (0)

Awesome! I will probably do a build article, the customer plane will be built per plans but mine will be all balsa and lightened. I haven't even looked at the plans enough to see where the dihedral sits on it, I believe the Eaglet had quite a bit originally. I did contact Great Planes about a cowl and wheelpants but as I expected there wasn't a chance at finding those. Fiberglass Specialties has a cowl..but $24 so I will probably mold my own or build one up, I have also had pretty good luck finding currently made cowls to fit other models..I might try that.

Wheelpants and some other cool things can be had from Parkflyer Plastics at a great price.

I won't be doing much until I see where this FAA crap is going (unfortunetely I think I already know), and frankly talking about it just 's me off. I did register, I was on the fence but since I have some kids that I am helping to learn to fly I figured it was best.

The Freedom might have a few nicer lines than the Eaglet 50, but I don't know those Eaglets just have the cool factor that beats most anything.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #27
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (11)

Originally Posted by P51 fan View Post

I won't be doing much until I see where this FAA crap is going (unfortunetely I think I already know), and frankly talking about it just 's me off.
Yep, I can't believe how this insane FAA mess has changed my approach to the hobby. I'd still love to build that twin Eaglet wing but I have to ask myself why. For now all my R/C efforts are being put into updating my helis and building up more from the piles of parts I have. It satisfies my love to build and I can find hidden areas to fly the helis without being seen.

the FAA! I need to get a hat and T-shirt made with that on it.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 04-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #28
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

I agree! Same feeling I get, every time I start getting over it something else happens.

As far as flying I am pretty secluded and have a large area to fly over, around 800 acres and neighbors that don't care..so I am lucky there.

My interest in the hobby is diminishing, not for any real reason other than the ridiculousness, and that to me is sad. As more and more kids that grew up sitting on the couch playing video games get in the hobby, the more "stupid" things get I feel.

I should make an order for needed things...props, batteries, etc, but I am kind of just dealing with what I have on hand. I'm not too sure I want to spend a couple hundred coin on the hobby anymore, at least not at this time.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #29
Jbodell

P51,

Do you have a part number, or link to the cowl made by fiberglass Specialties. I am looking to buy a cowl for a eaglet 50 and had a problem finding one on there website.

JBodell
Old 04-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #30
Jbodell

P51,

Do you have a part number, or link to the cowl made by fiberglass Specialties. I am looking to buy a cowl for a eaglet 50 and had a problem finding one on there website.

JBodell
Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #31
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Jbodel, I have a couple links that might help, first is http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...ain_page=index they have quite a few items from cowls to crazy things, and I do believe they do custom work also.

Here is a link to Fiberglass Specialties http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/ , I understand you have already checked the website but I will put the link for others. I am not sure if they make a cowl specific to the Eaglet 50, I think they only have cowls listed for planes that were produced with cowls.

With that said, since the Eaglet is basically just a box-nosed airplane that had the extended fuse sides and an open nitro engine, the nose can be modeled to fit most any cowl you like in the size range...possibly the Freedom 20 cowl would be good for you.

Here are a couple Freedom 20 cowl pics...and another one that might work is the Mirage 550 (bottom pic). Let me know what you think, hopefully this gives you some ideas and helps, possibly I can help more.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freedom.jpg (28.6 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg thumb-100_2451.JPG (4.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg pt-goldfront.jpg (96.2 KB, 206 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #32
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Possibly a Hemi V8 from http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=580 is what you need also

Lol, sorry had to add it since I get a kick out of it

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01cc6ebd152ca280b4a47f801469ca81.image.733x550.JPG (34.7 KB, 183 views)
Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #33
Henry Sistrunk

View Henry Sistrunk's Gallery69
Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 
Friends: (13)

Here is mine. Bolt on wings with dual aileron servos. Top hatch for battery.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #34
Henry Sistrunk

Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 

Here are the photos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eaglet 50 001.JPG (139.1 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Eaglet 50 002.JPG (137.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Eaglet 50 003.JPG (137.8 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Eaglet 50 004.JPG (138.5 KB, 190 views)
Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #35
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Very nice! I don't know what it is about the Eaglet, they just get me every time...love them.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #36
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Very nice indeed Henry! I like the bright colors.

Joe

Old 04-29-2016, 12:31 AM   #37
Henry Sistrunk

Awards Showcase

1kW  2kW 

Thanks Joe. At 78 years old I need all the bright colors and still sometimes I can't tell which way its going.
Henry
Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 AM   #38
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Henry Sistrunk View Post
Thanks Joe. At 78 years old I need all the bright colors and still sometimes I can't tell which way its going.
Henry
You've got me beat by a few years. I turn 60 in June but my eyes seem to be getting worse every day. My forced Obama care insurance is a freaking joke and I keep getting crazy quotes for glasses. That money is better spent on more R/C gear.

Joe

Old 04-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #39
P51 fan
Amazon Airspace Tester

Age is just a number, and I do realize how easy it is to say that. My age seems to fluctuate as much as 20 years either way depending on what day it is.

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
You've got me beat by a few years. I turn 60 in June but my eyes seem to be getting worse every day. My forced Obama care insurance is a freaking joke and I keep getting crazy quotes for glasses. That money is better spent on more R/C gear.

Joe
Don't worry Joe I got you covered, a great fellow and friend of mine who has unfortunetely passed on now left me with quite a bit of his equipment, and included in it was his homemade airplane tether.

Since his eyesight was failing him badly in his last years of flying he rigged up a tether to his plane (actually now that I think about it I do believe it was an Eaglet with an O.S. engine), it consisted of a screw in the ground dog tie-out post and quite a bit of strong braided fishing line. He would take off from the ground and slowly fly farther out in a circle until the line which was attached to the wingtip of his plane was tight and then he would fly in circles...almost like a control line set-up just on a larger scale I guess would be the best explanation.

He had it measured pretty close to where he could still see the plane, but it was his way of never losing it and cause damage, etc. The last couple years everyone noticed that tether line got quite a bit shorter as time went on, we all noticed it but we never acted like we were concerned...we just watched and enjoyed his flights with him, he was always treated as any other pilot at the field and always got the same treatment as anyone else did.

He referred to himself as disabled until I convinced him he wasn't disabled...he was just differently-abled.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #40
fix-n-fly

P51 - I see I am late to the game but read your post of 4/29/16. What a great story and great influence you had on the life of an rc pilot. Wondering if the line attached to the wingtip allowed him to land other than in a circle.

Still transitioning from glow to electric, I've got an Eaglet 50 that I hope to build soon with e-flite 15. Had one a few years ago with a OS FP .25 until I tried an outside loop too low to the ground.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #41
Brner
AMA16634

Originally Posted by P51 fan View Post
Age is just a number.......
That's mostly said by those who ain't been here yet......

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)