Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 01-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)
Default Hobby King Laser Kit : de-havilland-dh82a-tiger-moth-biplane-1400mm

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/de-havil...balsa-kit.html

Does anyone have a link to any forum thread on building this model ? I have searched but cannot find any. I believe its from same factory as the Laser Cut J3 Cub kit ... Ele .....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 01-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

Nigel, here are two I found:
This one is the larger of the two, and has a lot of material that Tim Hooper created for an article for a magazine (RCM+E I think):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Moth-Balsa-kit

Here is a second build thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post35820915

I believe Tim's article has been published for a while, but I think most of the "warts" he found with the kit can be seen in the thread on RCG.

Mark
Old 01-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
Nigel, here are two I found:
This one is the larger of the two, and has a lot of material that Tim Hooper created for an article for a magazine (RCM+E I think):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Moth-Balsa-kit

Here is a second build thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post35820915

I believe Tim's article has been published for a while, but I think most of the "warts" he found with the kit can be seen in the thread on RCG.

Mark
Yep have the links from an RCG post as well ....

Tim's article in RCM&E is unfortunately very disjointed as it is mixed in with other builds and information. I receive RCM&E each month. I need to get a couple of back issues to complete the Tiggy set. He broke the build story up into bits and pieces, posting them in a general build series.

Cheers
Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

One idea he showed was to add riblets to the wings ... the kit leaves large areas behind the LE unsupported ... so out with my Fruit Box's ... dismantle them to get the thin sheet ply ... scan the kit ribs ... cut back to riblets .... import to laser cutter ....

I cannot imagine cutting out that lot !! about 70 of them !! Laser machine ripped through in no time at all ...

Nigel

Old 03-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
park
Clear !

Friends: (3)

Nice!

AMA 1124147
Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

So I go out and buy a new 'board' to build this baby on ... (all my others are covered in the usual rubbish we pile on them and never sort !!)

Now its interesting as I have followed various other forums and threads on building this model and they all start differently !!

One starts by adding formers to the side sheets ...

Another puts formers together and adds the bridging arches ....

Another starts by building a former box and motor box before anything else !!

Me ? As you see above ... I lay the fuselage base down along a drawn C/L on the board and then start adding the formers etc. ...

While doing this of course the motor box is setting up ... clamped so it is all squared ..

I've decided to go for the E-Power version ... a 4250 motor is on its way from China ! I reckon to use 5S in it .... (its what I have in my battery inventory !)

Ok ... carrying on ...

So endeth first day while the PU glue sets up.

Interesting to note that the files section of HK have the wrong manual ... I tried uploading but my file was too big ... so I split into two files ... waiting HK to vet and show. Manual must have been re-written I reckon ...

Nigel

Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I have to say that A35 / P3 / P4 etc had me confused ..... but I think I worked it out eventually ...

I have to say that the Lite-Ply used in this is not so good ... boy is it brittle ... and veneers crack of it at slightest touch. I think its lucky this model has some slab to the sides etc. - because if it was like many of the skeletal models today - it would not last long !

Nigel

Old 03-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I am of the opinion that the kit was designed, cut for slotting together and then zapping with CA.

Something that I do not like. CA creates hard joints like steel and stress at the end of the CA part.

Parts are not interlocking as well as I would hope, a few such as the doubled Undercarraige plates needed trimming to let fuselage sides set in.

PU glue setting up overnight - then pick up putting more formers in and get fuselage sides in final.

Nigel

Old 03-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

WOW ... over 800 views and no comments !! What am I doing wrong ??

Cheers
Nigel

Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

One thing I do before glueing up ... scan the pieces that make motor boxes etc.

We all have those mishaps and having proper scans of the pieces allows to recreate the box etc. if ever needs repair.

That couple of minutes to scan saves all that frustration later.

Nigel

Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor box EP.jpg (157.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Ribs.jpg (109.4 KB, 33 views)

Old 03-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
riverrat
circa: 1946

Club: NRA Life Member
Friends: (30)

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
WOW ... over 800 views and no comments !! What am I doing wrong ??

Cheers
Nigel
Mr Luther!

Looking good & I am subscribed!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

View Stevephoon's Gallery70
Club: United Flying Organization
Friends: (8)

Hi Nigel, Just found your thread. I haven't had much time for posting or even reading this winter. I also scan in parts so I'll have templates later. At some point something will be needed. Your additional half ribs look really good. I've wondered about the Hobby King kits. Are the instructions any good? Any of the parts need any rework?

Steve

Growing the fleet!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
Hi Nigel, Just found your thread. I haven't had much time for posting or even reading this winter. I also scan in parts so I'll have templates later. At some point something will be needed. Your additional half ribs look really good. I've wondered about the Hobby King kits. Are the instructions any good? Any of the parts need any rework?

Steve
Tim - who wrote articles in a UK Mag ... RCM&E ... showed he'd inserted leading edge riblets to improve the look and avoid sag ... so I copied this.

Are HK kits any good ? The Laser kits are ELERC kits - so not HK actually. I built the Piper Cub and it slotted together well ...

Instructions are based on photographs / pictures. Literally no text at all ... so if you are a first timer ... forget it. BUT if you know what goes into a plane ... then sit back study and all comes to those who use the 'brain cells' !!

Nothing needs rework basically if you want a flying model. If you want scale - then some parts such as struts and wheels need examining.

I'm loving building this TM actually with all its niggly bits ...

Nigel

Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Soldier on ...

6S battery seems to fit ok ....

Nigel

Old 03-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #15
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Before anyone asks .... yes that is a UK Union Flag draped over the rail you see ....

Ready for the 'glorious day' !!

Nigel

Old Today, 02:46 PM   #16
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

OK things have moved on since last post .. but unusually for me ... slowly !!

Actually work is getting in the way of my hobby !!

Right where were we ?

Day 5 ...

Day 7 start on tail parts ... and blow me down I find various more parts in twos !!

I know some have made bad comments about these tail parts in their builds - but they slot together beautifully once you figure out which goes where and Zap in place with CA ... double up with decent glue and done !!

Here's the extra spars that you don't use !!

Very nice ... BUT the elevator slot in the rudder is nowhere enough to allow full movement of rudder / elevator and needs seriously enlarging.

The Top decks are in half sheets .. so they cover one side and then you cover other with centreline join. To get the curvature I soak the balsa in warm water for about 10 minutes. Wipe of water and then carefully fold into place and clamp. Let it dry so it takes on the curve.

Tail parts covered and waiting to be fitted ...

Top deck in place ... tail being glued with my metal brackets weighing her down and keeping all vertical ...

My usual pull pull CF Fishing trace ... ready to do the rudder ...

I have a large servo arm - one of the double 180 degree jobs as a crank bolted on a ply platform about halfway down fuselage. That will be hooked by metal control rod to servo under the rear cockpit. The 180 degree crank has the pull pull cables of it back to the rudder.

cables exiting over top ...

Nigel

Old Today, 03:00 PM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Battery will enter via the forward cockpit into this depron box and then a strip of velcro to hold it in ...

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft