Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 04-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)
Default Is Wattflyer on life support?

Watts going on? The place seems dead and WF has always felt like home to me. Very few posts per day. A lot of formerly active members have left.

This site needs a kick in the butt !

Hawk
Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (18)

I definitely don't want RCG style here, but yes it seems WF is too quiet.

Maybe we should go on a recruiting drive ?

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
suresharp

Friends: (1)

It is that time of year guys are waiting for weather to clear. Many first flying of new projects ready to go. Kids on easter brake are now back to school so things should start to get busy. A drive for new members is always a good idea at the start of the season.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Unfortunately IB doesn't allow us to market the site or send out mass emails like we used to. If you folks have other ideas please let us know!

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Bald Paul

View Bald Paul's Gallery9
Club: Campobello Flyers
Friends: (4)

I think a lot of topics have been just talked out.

Other than the occasional review of the latest ARF, BNF, or RTF plane, there doesn't seem to be too much else to discuss. There are still the newbie questions (and thankfully, WF members will attempt to help, rather than just screaming "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" and referencing some 12 year old post), usually asking about a power upgrade for the above mentioned ARF, BNF, or RTF plane, or how to program a radio function.

Personally, I don't think I have much to contribute. Not being a big fan of the ARF trend (not really against them, just enjoy the building part of the hobby more) a build thread on a balsa kit plane or scratch build just doesn't generate enough interest to justify the extra time involved in documenting the build.... (and it's not just here. I did an extensive, step by step build blog with photos on RCG and got one response)

I usually check the forums, but lately, there hasn't been much that has interested me.

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Unfortunately IB doesn't allow us to market the site or send out mass emails like we used to. If you folks have other ideas please let us know!

I genuinely believe the best members are those who are invited in by personal contact ... that way you can keep the 'flavour' of the site and also limit the 'bad' people you don't want.

I have mentioned the site to a few friends and others off and online ... I think one or two joined.

What we can do is start to put WATTFLYER logos on the models ... let people at flight sites see the name on a wing etc.

Simple enough to cut and paste ... print off ... or even visit local graphics shop and have them made...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 04-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
I think a lot of topics have been just talked out.

Other than the occasional review of the latest ARF, BNF, or RTF plane, there doesn't seem to be too much else to discuss. There are still the newbie questions (and thankfully, WF members will attempt to help, rather than just screaming "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" and referencing some 12 year old post), usually asking about a power upgrade for the above mentioned ARF, BNF, or RTF plane, or how to program a radio function.

Personally, I don't think I have much to contribute. Not being a big fan of the ARF trend (not really against them, just enjoy the building part of the hobby more) a build thread on a balsa kit plane or scratch build just doesn't generate enough interest to justify the extra time involved in documenting the build.... (and it's not just here. I did an extensive, step by step build blog with photos on RCG and got one response)

I usually check the forums, but lately, there hasn't been much that has interested me.
It's funny because when WF is mentioned occasionally on say RCG ... odd comments of .. Thats where all the scratch-builders go .... its only for DIY people ... its the 'cheap end' ....

Seems WF has developed a reputation as only for builders and not for general.

Nigel

Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Friends: (3)

Outside of the....:

Yorkie Rescue :: Crohn's & Colitis Foundation

What other affiliations does this forum support.......LOL

Unlike a couple of other older forums where advertising campaigns and associated internet RC retail outlet links invigorate new membership, this forum is silent......exclude RC Universe.

Given the weak multi-rotor and heli membership numbers here and not much new being offered in the fixed wing arena (more shrinkage than expansion), anything and everything technically related to fixed wing has been discussed in detail by the same handful of members here in triplicate..........outside of the newer TX/RX, stability and flight controller conversations, most discussions here end up being related to personal preference, which gets old real fast (just like it's membership)....lol

It's really just a sign of the times........just like what we have seen in the club membership environment. The market place stimulates curiosity and catering to specific product line......today, if you're not into FPV, "drones" and specific competition related flying, pretty much you're outside of the main stream, dabbling in the fringe hobby aspect of the sport.....where most of the membership here likes to play.

If one wants to scratch build foam or balsa and needs serious and honest advise on anything fixed wing......WattFlyer is still the go to site many refer to even at other RC web-sites.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
What we can do is start to put WATTFLYER logos on the models ... let people at flight sites see the name on a wing etc.

Simple enough to cut and paste ... print off ... or even visit local graphics shop and have them made...

Nigel
I'm sure Callie Graphics could produce those at a reasonable cost. They did my "No ARF" stickers. :-)

Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I just printed and clear taped on ... but I have local graphics shop that can knock them up for me quite cheap ...

Nigel

Old 04-21-2017, 02:49 AM   #11
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (16)

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
today, if you're not into FPV, "drones" and specific competition related flying, pretty much you're outside of the main stream, dabbling in the fringe hobby aspect of the sport.....where most of the membership here likes to play.

If one wants to scratch build foam or balsa and needs serious and honest advise on anything fixed wing......WattFlyer is still the go to site many refer to even at other RC web-sites.
This is part true. Wattflyer gained a reputation for not being FPV friendly. This is evident in the FPV portion of the forum and the debate that often came with. Definitely one of the reasons I post rarely here anymore. Ill look in from time to time but admittedly its rare. RCG seems to have a lot more content. Sometimes with attitude but they do tend to send ya in the right direction

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #12
dereckbc
Super Contributor

I gotta say I think fishbones is on the right track. Here is my two cents worth. What I have seen happening at my local club and observe here is RC Plane pilots are let's just say a mature breed, and membership is dieing off. Additionally that same mature crowd is not real friendly to youth and millennials who thrive on technology, and today that technology is Drones, Quads, Multirotors, or whatever you want to call it. Unfortunately the Millennial generation demands instant satisfaction and not really willing to spend a lot of time it takes to learn how to fly a plane.

I am guilty of this myself and working on it. I am also an Amuteure Radio Operator, and that hobby is dying fast. Go to any club meeting or get on the air all you see and hear is fossils and oxygen tanks.

This hobby demands new youthful members tailored to their interest like flying a Drone with a cell phone or with VR goggles. If we do not recruit and embrace change, it is pretty much over. Last man standing please turn off the lights before you leave.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #13
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

I agree. At our club, there's a growing contingency of over achieving baby boomers trying multi- rotor fpv. We've always been a heli friendly club and that too is a different breed.

Neither sends a chill up my leg but I'm not anti drone or heli either.

The true scratchbuilers are a fast dying group. Time is too valuable and when there are foam and balsa arfs available that have outstanding scale fidelity, why bother. Bolt together and go fly. Nitro and gas guys are also in decline. Again, it's time. 10 hours of putzing around time for every hour of flight time. Might as well take up golf.

I'm one of the few edf guys at our club. I especially like scale military replicas( especially Navy). I appreciate recollect and study the history of military aviation. Like to understand what the designers were thinking. Most kids are familiar with the F-16 and F/A-18's flown by the military demonstration teams. But how many can spot a F4 Phantom Mig-21 fishbed or an A7 Super Corsair? I'm also okay with 3-5 minute flight times. The adreneline rush of high speed and the turbineesque sound now available are the wow factor drivers for me.

But to gain technical knowledge on a particular model, RCG is the main resource. There's a model specific thread on literally everything. But they don't have the word chain game or " who's got flying weather" or " who crashed today" threads. WF is much lighter. Feel like I can catch a breath here.

I like wattflyer for the comaradrie and friendliness of the members. Plus it's much more laid back. Have received a lot of good advice here, and developed good friendships along the way. WF was my go to site especially when I was just getting into electrics. Kind of a crash course in EE. A lot to learn.

Miss some of the super contributors like Chellie who really wanted to see people succeed. Still have some of the old guard around who continue to contribute. That's why I'm still here. But to see a few posts for an entire day tells me that the site is not being properly supported. It's just out there charting its own course with nobody at the tiller.

I think WF needs to somehow re-invent re- juvenate or rebrand itself. Forget the drone world. That train left the station already. Been to a drone thread on RCG ? It's like entering the twilight zone. A completely different world. Too rad for me I suppose.

So, that's my take and out of frustration, that's why I started this thread.

Blue skies !

Hawk
Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #14
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

The traditional builders will never die out - but will be small numbers.

But it is sad when I go to the field and someone I hear says to new guy .... see that guy and his model ... he crashed that a year ago and rebuilt it - can you believe it ?
I find I am only one of a few that I know who will rebuild.

Now here is where I will risk controversy ..... the multi-rotor game is split up into various genre like 'normal rc'. Some tend to lump it all together which is unfair.

There's the camera boys .... the so called Drone .... such as the DJI

There's the FPV boys without racing

There's the racing FPV boys

There's the just fly a Multi without above specialities.

But they do have one thing in common. We will put aside those who like to scratch build their multi ..... The pilots all seem to fall into a 'blinkered' world and when you see some of the multi rotor particularly drone forum posts - you wonder if Darwin ever got it right !

WF has stayed on a particular path of friendliness. Of helping those who want to get on and fly electric. Unlike RCG which has no specific road - where all formats / styles and mentalities abide. I would hate to see WF go same as RCG - but it would be nice to see a few more contributors. RCG also has the terrible trait of threads developing into one man band items where a self appointed expert takes over. You then watch the more reasonable leave the thread ..... rue the day we ever have that on WF.

On the subject of RCG .... there has been recently a decline in posting there as well .... so its not only WF.

I think once flying gets really going with season change - then things will pick up. Meanwhile old die-hards like us will keep it going .....

Nigel

Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I'll add another factor (which has not been mentioned) to the decline of post contribution by existing members and or the lack of increase in new membership curiosity.......this is solely based on my own personal experience and those who I associate with that have expressed, to me, like experiences.....:

Why did I join a forum (like this and other) memberships to begin with....?

For me, in the beginning, it started with RC helicopters in 1998 (my first forum membership was in 2000). I caught the bug and needed help. I did not start out with fixed wing craft. Since the local clubs and few LHS possessed friendly and truly experienced heli flyers, I researched the internet to find answers to my questions and folks living near-by that I could meet up with to get hands on experience.

Back then, heli's were gaining popularity and the technology was starting to move at a faster pace. Along with that, the die hard "plankers" were very negative and rejected the technology (not much has changed here), so it was like pulling teeth from them to get simple, basic answers related to anything RC if you mentioned that you were a heli guy.

I was fortunate to have found a newer website started out here in California (now defunct), that catered to heli's. Everyone of the founding members (which I came to be recognized as within six months, I was member 15), migrated from either RCDiscuss (an internet retail forum by XHeli) or RCG. All but two of us had started in the hobby with fixed wing. We all left those forums due to the insanity you still see at those web-sites. My PC and software knowledge contributed to the forums expansion and eventual explosion. We decided (after membership grew to 100), to make the site an "invite only" membership......got sponsored by Align and Scorpion, had a few members who turned professional (pilots) or started their own UAV Photography businesses, like my buddy (the retired commercial pilot/RCE and RC guru).

Having hooked-up with the forum, I met several very experienced guys who lived within 60 miles of me. I made a few long time friends and learned.....so much so, that I started building/repairing heli's for guys who took interest. Not much of that venture ever turned profitable, but it contributed to my eventual interest in fixed wing and the demise (due to the expense and time) to continue with helicopters.

To the original point........many of us gained so much interest, knowledge and experience building and flying, that we found ourselves having less time to stay connected with the web forums. All of us had day jobs, family, school, bills, problems ect., ect., something had to give.........so the web-site lost...!

Since we no longer had any real need to "ask questions" or maintain curiosity on the forums (we had/have each other to fall back on), web forum time (outside of being available to answer questions occasionally), became more of a headache than a contribution...........much like what we see here at WattFlyer and at many other specialized web-forums.
Eventually, many of us who have/had gotten serious in the hobby (other than the very small percentage who make a living at it), mastered enough of the foundation principals, gained adequate pilot skills and acquired several different types of aerial craft, ended up spend our time seeking/enjoying/exploring our other ventures, while occasionally finding time to visit a forum and chat or helping out.

I initially joined Wattflyer (it was recommended to me by friend) to seek advise on various aspects of fixed wing craft that I had a "curiosity" for......like the Slow Stick, Tiger Moth and T-28 Trojan........now I just hang around to be a pain in the butt........lol........and offer up tidbits of experience that seem relevant to a particular subject matter when I see something while browsing this and a couple of other forums.

For me, since one aspect of my professional consultant services in civil engineering and land surveying, employs the use of GPS UAV photometrics, my need to satisfy the "hobby" flying fix, has diminished to a point where I seldom fly my personal craft unless invited to an event where a few bud's are flying........I rarely keep up on the heli technology since I no longer fly them.
Staying current on the multi-rotor's and flying wing craft we use at work is more than enough to keep my interest..........and saves me money to spend on other personal interests I set-aside during my "hobby craft" days.

All said and done, had I not been "turned onto" the hobby by a friend and son (who eventually lost interest), had experience with PC technology and software, been professionally employed in Civil Engineering/Land Surveying, or met another Engineer who had/has a serious RC background that turned into a profitable business........most likely I would have never joined a forum or have built or flown anything related to aerial RC.........!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The traditional builders will never die out - but will be small numbers.
Nigel
You can take my X-Acto knife when you pry it from my cold, dead hands! But, better bring some debonder. Half the time it's stuck to my fingers with CA or Sig Bond.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #17
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
You can take my X-Acto knife when you pry it from my cold, dead hands! But, better bring some debonder. Half the time it's stuck to my fingers with CA or Sig Bond.
I have maybe 10 different knives and still some box sets not opened !!

I have the 3D printer ... Laser machine .... bench circular saw .... bench jigsaw ..... three different Dremels ............

I cannot imagine not building / creating something.

Nigel

Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #18
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Send a message via AIM to Fishbonez Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbonez
Friends: (16)

Another reason that has not been mentioned but many have begun to goto social media such as Facebook. WF has one of these as well but you will see many people goto Social Media rather than the forum

Happy flying may your crashes be limited and if they are not limited let them be cool.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:01 AM   #19
zoltron55

Club: mon valley rc club
Friends: (2)

I have not chimed in lately ,but I want to keep the forum alive. I have learned a ton since joining

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Off Topic Chit Chat