Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-19-2017, 03:04 AM   #1
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Club: Badius Boys Flying Club Inc. Outlaw Flyers World Wide
Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (6)
Question Opterra?

Saw this today and checking here I couldn't find a thread on it.
Seems it's been out for a while and I figured someone must have gotten one.

The PNP is $199.00, the BNF is $229.00. LHS shows one in stock, least save on the shipping, as even though it qualifies for "free shipping", from Horizon, they hit you for oversize parcel. Isn't that an oxymoron? It's free but they charge you?

I was thinking the PNP (As I'm still not sold on the ASX3/SAFE system) Then adding Lemons new 7 channel rx with Self level and gyro options built in.

Might be a heck of a night flyer, big old wing slowly flying in the sky, lit up like Times Square.

Could be too, that it kinda resembles the old Strykers from years ago.

Oh well maybe Monday I'll run down to the LHS and check it out in person.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...sic-p-efl11150

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
haasjj
Another New Member

Club: SAGE Slope Area Golden Eagles
Friends: (0)

Wow I'm surprised no one has commented on this thread. I am buying one as soon as I can afford it. Did you pick one up GG? if so did you get the AS3X or not. I have good and bad luck with AS3X there fine as long as you can program them.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Looks like it should be a good flier even without a gyro.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 04-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

I got it! Picked up the BNF version. And have to say so far I'm impressed with SAFE and AS3X. But a word of advice first. SAFE can fool you. On SAFE, it will fly the plane no matter your control surface initial setup.

On mine I stupidly forgot a cardinal rule. You fly the plane and trim it in flight.

What happened was mine flew like a dream on SAFE, but when I switched over to AS3X she immediately went into a dive. I ran out of adjustment on the elevons trying to trim it out. And yes I did have them adjusted per the manual before flight.

No biggie, I switched back to SAFE and flew her that way on the maiden. A quick manual adjustment at home corrected the dive problem, and now she flies fine in either mode.

When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, in his sleep...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Couple more things. She likes to have the wind in her face to launch, at least if you are hand launching by yourself. Either that or I'm a pansy at throwing.

With no wind she's a bear to get in the air for me, but a little breeze and off she goes like no one's business.

And even as big as she is, you can loose her in the air. There is very little profile when flying her. Get her way out there and its a dot with a line running through it. And that's when you find out how she's fooled you. Bank into a turn to find her and you'll realise how far out there she actually is. At least for me, my mind is thinking smaller bird at distance, when in fact shes' 2 or 3 times further out there.

Anywho, she will be great for FPV, if I ever go to that. Plenty of room in the fuselage for all the goodies and maybe even a small child.

I did make some changes on mine, yeah me being me. I removed all the weights, like 1/2 pound with just the ones in the stock nose and fuselage. Replaced them with packs. I'm running a pair of 3S3000's in place of.

And to help with the normal hangar rash, I coated her with aerosol Plasti-Dip.
And added some Diamond plate and chrome tape to help catch the sun when she's way way out there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg opterra.jpg (48.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg opterra 1.jpg (68.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Opterra3.jpg (57.6 KB, 33 views)

Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Awards Showcase

1kW 

Whoops, forgot about cameras. You can see in the above photo I have an 808 mounted on the nose. There's a cut out for it already to fit perfectly. Or you can pop off the stock nose cone, and replace it with one for a camera to be mounted in it. You get a couple of foam adapters to fit various cameras, like the GoPro or Action Camera, Mobius, etc. And you get one blank foam adapter to carve out if the others don't work. And around another pound of steel weights for CG balancing.

Also there is a spot in the belly to mount a camera, only bad point if it's a GoPro or such you have to mount the camera sideways. So your view will be left to right rather then top to bottom on the screen. Looks like it had to be done this way when it was made, as if you made the cut out in the correct position it would interfere with the left hand grip. The hole for it is covered by a plastic disc with some tape to keep debris out of the fuselage. Easy enough to reinstall if not using a camera.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nose adapters.jpg (20.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg belly camera mount.jpg (19.3 KB, 24 views)

Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #7
haasjj
Another New Member

Club: SAGE Slope Area Golden Eagles
Friends: (0)

HI GG few ?'s for you, where did you get the diamond plate stickers those are cool? I have never tried the aerosol plasti dip does it add much weight and is it as good as the iron on laminate sheets? Where did you get the plasti dip? online or a retailer? Last for now with 2 packs like that what was your flight time? Great looking plane and thanks for the info.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings