Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Cabunag60

Friends: (0)
Default Charging Phantom 3 Batteries

I cant see why you cant charge this battery with the charger i use for my Planes and Helis, its just a 4 cell lipo (overpriced) there about 125 Pounds.

The only drawback would be it would not be balanced if you use this lead

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2623737148...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 02-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (19)

I use both the Dumb Brick DJI charger and also an ACCUCEL 6 80W LiPo charger with the ebay lead to charge my DJI batterys for my P3.

In fact the LiPo charger is a better option in my opinion as it gets set to LiHV and CHARGE only at 4S. I get display of Voltage, Amps and mAh gone in to the pack. Of course to charge you need to switch on the battery pack itself to over-ride the built in board, similar to high level charge on the DJI charger.

I don't like the DJI charger - as it has NO PROTECTION that I can see ... it will continue to bang out 17.4V unless battery says FULL. But the LiPo charger will cut out if any fault occurs.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

This is why I prefer to use my LiPO charger instead of the DJI dumb brick :

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 02-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

"Cabunag60"

The balance function is supposed to be carried out internally in thr DJI battery and is why you have no balance connector regardless of using DJI charger or LiPo charger and lead.

Nigel

Old 04-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

View Nitro Blast's Gallery45
Club: Silent Electric Fliers of San Diego
Send a message via MSN to Nitro Blast
Awards Showcase

Frankenstein Build Contest Award  100mph Speed Demon  3kW  1kW 
Friends: (67)

Many people do not realize that the DJI smart batteries are actually balance chargers as well as battery management. If you simply provide the correct voltage DC current to the battery, it will charge.

Electricity... It's not just for light bulbs anymore.

GoProfessional Cases industry grade protection for your gear

Dinogy Lipos professional grade energy

Project Globetrotter Participant 7/09
Wings Across America Participant 6/10
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Lets correct something here ... and I do not wish to be rude ...

The DJI battery is called "Intelligent" .. it is supposed to have following capabilities built in :

1. Charge controller.
2. Balance function.
3. Individual cell data for telemetry
4. Automatic discharge to storage at set point
5. Hibernation phase
6. LED indication of charge condition
7. Life indication before expiry

Ok .. lets get to facts based on observation and tests made by myself and others I communicated with to create a general overall view of this.

1. Charge controller.

The DJI charger is a regulated 17.4V brick as can be found for many other items. It has no capability other than supply of 17.4V ....
The battery itself via the circuit board controls the charge and basically becomes the "Charge Controller". In the event of breakdown - there is no other function to safeguard anything. The brick will pump 17.4V regardless.

(Ok .. one aspect that is of use .. REGARDLESS of battery state ... SWITCH ON BATTERY before plugging to charger ....... forget the manuals advice about only needing it at high charge capacity start).

2. Balance function.

This supposed to be dealt with by the circuit board in the battery - but it has been observed that charge and discharge is on a total voltage basis and not based on cell by cell. Therefore only strictly limited balancing actually occurs ... basically natural occurrence !

3. Individual cell data for telemetry

This is the real reason the battery has a micro balance lead connected to the board. The board sends cell voltage to the controller via wifi link 2.4 to display on your tablet.

4. Automatic discharge to storage at set point

This is about the only good thing after the control of charge ... that you can set the number of days until it will start auto discharge to storage level ... even though the level is still at the high end of storage voltage. Be aware again that it is based on total voltage and not individual cells.

5. Hibernation phase

This is grossly misunderstood even by DJI techs !! Actially ask DJI techs any question and my experience is that you will get contrary replies !! Anyway Hibernation phase is purely where the battery shuts down to stop further self discharge past DJI selected point. It is re-awakened purely by switching on battery and plugging into charger.

6. LED indication of charge condition

This is a joke ... the % range of the lights is too wide ... I never use it .. I prefer to meter or just connect to my Accucel 6 and read of.

7. Life indication before expiry

This is also a joke ... it is supposed to be based on a life cycle of 200 ... but DJI have for some time now discontinued the cut-off at 200 cycles.

So much for "Intelligent" battery .....

It is obvious why DJI went this route - to try and cover their a*** for the idiots who buy drones ... who have no clue about use or care for. Trouble is it penalises us who have a bit more savvy about it.

Nigel

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > Multi-Rotors