Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #1
maca67

Friends: (0)
Default Apprentice & safe rx DX8

Hi, I have an older apprentice and Spekturm DX8. Recently ive tried to start flying again (hence the gear is about 7 yrs old) after crashing several times i purchased the Eflite Safe Rx to help me out (no shops or clubs within 200m). I can bind it ok and have assigned the channels according to the latest Apprentcie manual, & the ail, elev react as i move the plane but if i toogle between Beginner, Imd & Exp, everything still moves ?
There are older threads covering various issues, can anyone guide me through the complete process for the TX & rx to make sure everything i`m doing is correct.
I might have tx problems as before the new Safe RX , the old rx i was using was having intermitent faults no up elevator on range test every now and again, same problem today. Going to juse servo tester and see if problem shows.?? any other tips.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by maca67 View Post
I can bind it ok and have assigned the channels according to the latest Apprentcie manual, & the ail, elev react as i move the plane but if i toogle between Beginner, Imd & Exp, everything still moves ?
I'm not sure what the problem is to be honest? The control surfaces should still move in all flight modes so what you describe sounds correct.

As a side issue, have you checked that the gyro response of all control surfaces is in the correct direction (in addition to checking that the response to control input is in correct direction)?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
maca67

Thanks jetPlane,
Yes i`ve checked that the controls move in the correct direction for the TX but havent checked they move correctly for response. I thought that in experienced mode the safe rx wouldnt react to the plane flight as is supposed to have "Unlimited Flight Envelope". Is why i thought something was amiss. I also found different threads advising (the efite manual doesnt mention reverseing) to reverse the Trainer=Aux1 button? Do you know if this is corect.?
My last crash i thought i had lost signal, as plane spiraled in (Spektrum AR500 rx) so rebound at home and range tested, I found that after say 30 secs every now and again that only the up Elev would not move? so i thought that rx is no good. hence the eflie safe rx, but I`m finding its happening again, not all the time but constantly after arming the Safe rx when you power the motor up.this is whilst right next to the plane in the shed, i did try the old rx and no problems , any tips?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

You need to check that the gyro response is correct, if that's the wrong way it will be a short and wild first flight!

The gyros are active in all flight modes but in advanced they don't restrict the attitude of the plane, they just smoothen the flight out a bit.

As for the elevator response problem... the SAFE Rx can cause confusing results in anything other than advanced mode. For ground testing purposes better put it in advanced mode.

I'm not sure about reversing the trainer button as I don't have the same hardware as you are using. What you want it to have the 'panic' feature activated only when you press the button. If 'panic mode' is on all the time then the button probably needs to be reversed.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 AM   #5
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)

The gyros are active in all modes including Expert. What does change between modes is Roll and Pitch LIMITS. In Beginner Mode you are limited to about 15 degrees and in Intermediate your are limited to about 30 degrees. In Expert mode the Limits are gone so you can Roll and Pitch the full 360 degrees.

Been a while since I fooled around with mine but High and Low Rates my change between modes. But in Expert Mode Rates are High and Limits are gone. Easy to check. switch to Beginner and full deflection on sticks and see what happens. Repeat at Expert and see if you get more Travel on control surfaces.

The way you test it in flight is simple. Get the plane up high enough at 3/4 to full throttle and nail the Elevators and Ailerons. In Beginner Mode you should see 15 degrees of so max Pitch and Roll. Intermediate mode you should see around 30 degrees. In Expert you should do a full roll and loop.

To test the PANIC mode, put the plane in any unusual attitude and push the Panic Button. The plane should snap to straight and level.

As Jet Plan Flyer said ground test the gyros. Power up the plane straight and level on the ground. RUN Throttle up to 1/2 Power to activate the Gyros, then reduce power to off and check the gyros for the correct deflection. Pitch the nose up and you should see Down Elevator. Roll Right and you should see Ailerons Roll Left. Yaw Right and you should see Rudder go Left. If that is correct take off and Flight test.

Hint: The Safe RX is designed and programmed for straight and level flight at 50% Power. Trim plane at 50% power and landing requires no elevator input as you control vertical speed with Throttle and direction with Rudder. So if you loose power or radio contact, your plane will land itself with minimal damage. Just pray you are flying into the wind if that happens. Students learn to land the Apprentice with no power. They just cut power and steer with the Rudder. If you have 7 to 10 mph winds the plane lands like an elevator with little to no ground speed. Above 10 mph lands going backwards. Kind of freaks beginners out.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
maca67

Thanks for the response guys, i had been out fiddeling with it this morning , before checking wattflyer. So i will go through the above checks, i checked and rebound the rx several times but once the motor is run up to arm the gyro the elev only goes one way with the tx, it will go both ways with the gyro as i pitch the plane up and down.
Well time to put the wings on and do all the checks mentioned.. thanks for the tips.. frustrating the heck out of me... i thought this was supposed to be a relaxing hobby.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:15 AM   #7
dereckbc
Super Contributor

i thought this was supposed to be a relaxing hobby.
You bet. It gets really relaxing when you crash and burn. Truth be told it is for Adrenalin Junkies like jumping out of airplanes, or dare devils. Just one mistake, one accident, one heartbeat or mis calculation from death.You get that big rush everytime you cheat death.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:33 AM   #8
maca67

Hi guys,
i spent the morning trying to work everything out. The control surfaces all work in the correct direction and the Safe rx responds to the pitch & roll correctly to bring the plane back to level flight.
On the ground testing the Safe Rx, the control surfaces seem to move to full length regardless of wether in beg, Imd or Exp mode,Is this correct?
If I`m standing right beside the plane with the motor powered up to activate the safe Rx, once Ive powered up the down elevator wont work and is restricted in travel on the up Elev, should standing right next to the plane affect this, if moving outside it doesnt seem to happen but the same problem happens upon Range Testing, I`ve switched servos and this still happens?? any tips
Old 05-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Standing close to the plane doesnt effect control response, the cause must be something else.

I'll let someone who has the same receiver answer the other questions.... But one way to check if the modes are changing correctly is to hold the plane inverted and see if the control surfaces move to try to turn it back upright. In advanced they dont, in other modes the do.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #10
maca67

gday Jetplane,
I`ll try what you suggested above, and i have a couple off other tests to try and and old rx, that hasnt been in a crash. other than that i guess ive got gremlins, might try to fly in beginer mode anyway as it corrects irself anyway.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #11
maca67

Is the tx is ok ?, what is the normal procedure if your plane fails a Range Test?
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Is the tx is ok ?, what is the normal procedure if your plane fails a Range Test?
TX may be faulty or not. Easy to tell, try other planes. If al or most planes fail it is the TX. Otherwise it is the RX.

What kind of battery are you using in the TX? If using AA NiCd or alkaline, get a LiPo and make sure the battery bar graph shows full.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #13
dereckbc
Super Contributor

On the ground testing the Safe Rx, the control surfaces seem to move to full length regardless of wether in beg, Imd or Exp mode,Is this correct?
Yes I had to go back and look in the manual for you. Rates DO NOT change with modes. If you want Hi/Lo rates must be programmed on the TX using a on of the switches. You do know you can download the manual right?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #14
maca67

Gday JP & D,
Tried another rx that hasnt been in a plane yet and works OK, the old on before the Safe rx has the same dramas as the new/unflown Safe rx, so will keep trying over the next few days and see if the any gremlins arise.
I have anew Trunigy lipo in the Tx (shows 7.9v), this is only change since starting to refly from 6 yrs ago, do you know if anyone has problems not using a genuine spektrum battery?
I`m building a little Arf park flyer so once finshed i`ll try all the Rx`s to see if the crashed apprentice is causing electricial gremlins thru the rx`s.
cheers
Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 AM   #15
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Gday JP & D,
Tried another rx that hasnt been in a plane yet and works OK, the old on before the Safe rx has the same dramas as the new/unflown Safe rx, so will keep trying over the next few days and see if the any gremlins
OK if you are referring to Range Test and both RX are failing means you have a TX issue. I do not have a DX8 or ever taken one apart, but if you can get inside make the the cable from the Transmitter module is properly connected to the antenna. Other than that send it back to Spektrum for repair.

I have anew Trunigy lipo in the Tx (shows 7.9v), this is only change since starting to refly from 6 yrs ago, do you know if anyone has problems not using a genuine spektrum battery?
Volts are volts. As long as the meter reads 7.2 to 8.4 volts you are good. Start getting nervous at around 7.3 volts or less. Time to recharge. Neither Turnigy or Spektrum makes batteries. Turnigy assembles them from the manufacture, and Spektrum just has the manufacture assemble them with their name on it. Both come from the same Chi-Com manufacture.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions

Tags
apprentice 15e , dx8 , safe rx