PDA

View Full Version : Flying Styro Messerschmitt BF-109G?

KenS
11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Anyone flown any of these Flying Styros?

QUICKWEDGE
11-20-2007, 05:32 PM
RC PARK FLYER PLANE.this is listed on e-bay. punch in item #,MESSERSCHMITT ME BF-109 G AIRPLANE

HIGHLY DETAILED RC MODEL PLANE, ARF ACROBATIC AIRPLANE
Quick
Item number: 170113148888http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif

haze_b
11-21-2007, 03:25 AM
Flying Styros seem to be very expensive desk models that are (barely) flyable. Every FS model I've seen so far has flown very poorly (unable to handle even the slightest wind). Could have been the setup, as we were all new to the electric thing but I, personally, would spend my money elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

PerlAddict
11-21-2007, 03:40 AM
Hmmm ... I've heard good things about the P-38 and P-51B kits from them. Just seems like they're a lot more detailed and scale kits.

QUICKWEDGE
11-21-2007, 06:04 AM
I have the L-19 birddog,the Mosquito and P-38.the L19 is very well constructed-wood and film ect.Moquito and P-38 are styro.I have not started either styro plane yet but I have seen the P-38 fly and handled it and can say the one that flys here flys great.I will have to talk to the builder and see if he made major mods.as for any other hobby lobby I have only seen the new spit with the retract option and it flys great.as for the ME-109 I have not seen one so I cant say.I just pasted in the listing info off the listing.

Quickwedge

panzerd18
11-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I heard that they are quite hard to build, not for the faint of heart.

spinnetti
12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
And Alfa, and GWS, etc....

in the 1/13 scale ARF world, it goes like this:

GWS = Cheapest, Mid-level build, awful detail, files good
Alfa = Tied for most expensive, low level build, mid level detail, flies great
FSK = Tied for most expensive, high level build, high level detail, flies great.
Everybody else = no compelling reason to try them as they don't generally beat these 3 for their niche.

In summary, Get GWS if money is your #1 factor, Alfa if scale is important and getting in the air quickest is your #1 factor, and FSK if the most scale plane possible in an ARF is your #1 factor. All fly close enough to the same to not make that a factor.

I like FSK the best and plan to get a couple more eventually. You can build FSK quickly by leaving out some of the scale details (or adding them later), and its not hard to get in the air, but it does take a while to put all the details on, almost like a plastic kit.

stripey
12-05-2007, 05:54 AM
I agree with Spinnetti 100%. FSKs fly very well, pentrate the wind with no problem (P-40 gets a bit exciting, though), look better than any other warbird in that size, and are fun, if not a little challenging to build. I've had my 109G for a couple of years now and it looks as good as it did on day 1. There are so many rumors and opinions of FSKs, but I think many of them are posted by folks that have never actually built and flown one.
I couldn't find the shot of my 109G, so I've posted these, instead:

Jon

spinnetti
12-06-2007, 01:59 AM
I agree with Spinnetti 100%. FSKs fly very well, pentrate the wind with no problem (P-40 gets a bit exciting, though), look better than any other warbird in that size, and are fun, if not a little challenging to build. I've had my 109G for a couple of years now and it looks as good as it did on day 1. There are so many rumors and opinions of FSKs, but I think many of them are posted by folks that have never actually built and flown one.
I couldn't find the shot of my 109G, so I've posted these, instead:

Jon

Jon, thats a great shot of the 110... I really need to get one of those!
I've had my FW190 3 years or so and have stuffed it in a number of times, but its still kicking.. I plan to put in on a Ju-88 for a Mistel combo :)

stripey
12-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Oh man, a Mistel would be unbelievable!!! Give me some good news about whether or not FSK still plans on releasing the Ju-88. Thanks on the 110 shot...You've got to get one...they fly like a trainer and look very cool on low passes.

Jon

spinnetti
12-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh man, a Mistel would be unbelievable!!! Give me some good news about whether or not FSK still plans on releasing the Ju-88. Thanks on the 110 shot...You've got to get one...they fly like a trainer and look very cool on low passes.

Jon

Jon, Not sure on the 88... there is a kit Warbirdkits.com I think? that has one. My FSK will get mounted on top as a dummy. Originally I was going to have both flyable and separate in flight, by my 190 is a bit tired (I'll likely get another).. without power system its only a few ounces, so it ought to fly really well. (might leave aileron servo in).. Did you have hobby lobby special order the 110, or do you have another source?

Thanks!

stripey
12-22-2007, 03:34 PM
That would be a sweet thing to see!!! Make sure you've got the camera with ya if you get the project in the air. On the 110, a friend of mine bought it for me for building the FS Zero for him. He bought it from the guy on ebay that has several FS kits in his "store". I've been so tempted at times to buy one of the Stukas he's got, but the shipping charges keep me from pulling the trigger.

Jon

spinnetti
12-22-2007, 06:18 PM
That would be a sweet thing to see!!! Make sure you've got the camera with ya if you get the project in the air. On the 110, a friend of mine bought it for me for building the FS Zero for him. He bought it from the guy on ebay that has several FS kits in his "store". I've been so tempted at times to buy one of the Stukas he's got, but the shipping charges keep me from pulling the trigger.

Jon

I'd like the Stuka too for that matter! I really like all the FSK stuff, especially the Luftwaffe birds. I built a big F-82 ("twin mustang" kit bash) but never covered it properly, so I'm trying to get the gumption up to finish that before I move on to the Mistel project.