PDA

View Full Version : Nitro Models 51” "Bobcat" Lets Talk….

WingTips24
01-09-2007, 04:37 PM
51”Bobcat Jet

Episode 1….. Take 1!!!

Raidentech/Nitro Models Bobcat
WingSpan 51”
Length 60”
Weight: 5.5pound / 88 oz / 2494 grams
14 inches between rear stabs

Hey Fellas,

I have been eyeballin this plane for sometime now and finally caved in and got myself one. This is one of those planes you only see every once in a while even if your looking for it. When you do stumble across one you also find out why you don’t see many….mucho ez-pensive.. for me at least. So when I saw this model and saw that $129.00 price tag my left eyebrow raised up so high with curiosity it hit the back of my shirt colar..lol.. I thought why is it so cheap when it looks that good. Well after some research ( detailed inspection of the pictures online and asking around a bit) I decided I would find out if she is the hidden diamond I hope she might be.

She got here about 5 days ago so I have started on it and figured you guys might be interested. This isn’t really a build thread …more like a discussion but I will for the first part post pics of my progress as I build it. Now for the record…..I actually have no idea if she is good or not so please don’t run out and buy one cause the price is good just yet. Part of the reason I am doing a thread is to find out what the deal is on this bird is. If you have questions I’ll try to help out if I can since I have one in front of me so.

So gents feel free to join in “Lets Talk Bobcat”! In case you are unfamiliar with the plane I will post some pics of this model. There are two other colors but I liked the yellow/blue one the best although the orange and silver/grey was a close second. I’ll post pics of all 3 colors and where I got mine.

My Setup:

Castle Creations HV 45 ESC ( may upgrade to 85HV)
8-10s MaxxAmps 4000mah HV Lipos
4 Futaba 3004 servos ( Elevator/ Rudder )
1 Futaba 3010 Servos ( Nose Wheel )
2 NES servos ( used what I had ) ( ailerons )
AXI 4130-20 Brushless Motor
Separate BEC
Prop - 14.8.5’” 3 Blade or a 2 blade 14X8.5 or 14X10
Hitec dual conv. 8 chan RX

This is a genuine EperiMENTAL job so I am not saying what I am trying is tried and true just what I am going to do with mine. I’ll post video and pics as well.

Okay time for a few pics…

Tips

Here’s who has em!
www.raidentech.com (http://www.raidentech.com/)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/ (http://www.nitro-models.com/)

WingTips24
01-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Here is the Orange and silver/grey one...

Tips

WingTips24
01-09-2007, 04:55 PM
THE REAL DEAL! BOBCATS & KingCats

A few pics to wet the appitite...these are "not" the ones that Raidentech and Nitro are selling these are the real ones that they were modeled after.

These come from here:

Just thought you might like to drool along with me....

http://www.bvmjets.com/

Tips

WingTips24
01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't expect to get this kind of performance with my axi but you know what? This plane has a certain amount of sheer "cool factor" all on its own.Still it would be nice if she could move like this....

A video from Jergen Heilig Blog in RCG such a great video I had to borrow it to share with you guys.

SCREAMIN CAT!!!!

http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Jur...06-KingCat.wmv (http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/JurgenHeilig/JOC2006-KingCat.wmv)

Tips

MTwallet
01-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey Tips,
wish I had a few extra $$$ so I could convert one of these too! I have always loved the look of the Bobcat/Kingcat.
I love to watch them fly at the Michigan Jets RC Airshow here in the Summer.
Just found out about this Nitro Models pusher version. Looks like they did a nice job with it.
I wish you much luck and fun with your conversion!

I was looking over your tentative setup and I am wondering if you'll have enough clearance for a 14" prop. I notice you stated there is 14" between the stabs, that doesn't leave much to error, nor does it mean you'll have the ground clearance for such a large prop.
All the pics I see of it have a 3 blade prop (probably for clearance reasons) so this might be an issue.

The AXI 4130 is a big motor too, you could maybe use a smaller/lighter motor with a higher Kv such as AXI 4120/14 or Mega 22/30/4, this will allow you to use a smaller prop and spin it well with fewer cells, this will undoubtedly reduce the weight somewhat and offset the reduced power of said smaller motor.

What do you think?

BTW, Jurgen's video link above isn't working for me.

MT

MTwallet
01-09-2007, 06:39 PM
I think I found the correct link.
Man, watching this really gets my blood flowing!:D
http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/JurgenHeilig/JOC2006-KingCat.wmv

MT

MTwallet
01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Have you seen this thread yet?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567642
Looks like some of these fellas want to make this poor little 51 incher into a full blown rocketship. But boy are their AUW high, I've seen anywhere from 7-12lbs. I thought Nitro Models advertise it as about 5.5lbs AUW.
O-well, what do I know... I'm still on the outside lookin in.

MT

WingTips24
01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey Tips,
wish I had a few extra $$$ so I could convert one of these too! I have always loved the look of the Bobcat/Kingcat.
I love to watch them fly at the Michigan Jets RC Airshow here in the Summer.
Just found out about this Nitro Models pusher version. Looks like they did a nice job with it.
I wish you much luck and fun with your conversion!

I was looking over your tentative setup and I am wondering if you'll have enough clearance for a 14" prop. I notice you stated there is 14" between the stabs, that doesn't leave much to error, nor does it mean you'll have the ground clearance for such a large prop.
All the pics I see of it have a 3 blade prop (probably for clearance reasons) so this might be an issue.

The AXI 4130 is a big motor too, you could maybe use a smaller/lighter motor with a higher Kv such as AXI 4120/14 or Mega 22/30/4, this will allow you to use a smaller prop and spin it well with fewer cells, this will undoubtedly reduce the weight somewhat and offset the reduced power of said smaller motor.

What do you think?

BTW, Jurgen's video link above isn't working for me.

MT

Hey bro, yea I think she will be a fun bird. I figured I would go with the AXI just cause it is what I had on hand. I was thinking the 4130- 16 might be a great motor as well on 5 and 6s. I do agree this is probably not the most ideal motor. I will modify what ever prop I use to fit I have a lot of other sizes I'll just have to see what works size/thrust/speed wise.

Thanks a ton for the RCG thread reference I will read it all tonight just to catch up on what has worked so far, you are right folks have had those baby's up pretty heavy, makes me feel a little better at going with standard servos for everything. This bird is a use what you have plane. If I really like it I may swap out some other parts or build a new one with a real custome setup in it but for now I'd just like to see it in the air and back down again...LOL!

I am gonna post the video I saw from the thread it was pretty good she flew well from what I can see and pretty fast.

Video from RCG M2energysolution's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_FniaqmFtw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_FniaqmFtw)

Tips

Crash Test Dummy
01-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Hey Tips,

Looks like you are on your way!!! Looks like he crashed at the end of that video. Too bad it was a nice flyer. Looked like it had tons of power. Can't wait to see the pix of yours.

CTD

WingTips24
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Yea brotha makin strides should be done soon now I just got to get some batteries and a few odds and ends.

Another video I found on the boards of RCU.

Could (http://www.putfile.com/search.php) not get this one to play just go to
www.putfile.com (http://www.putfile.com) and type bobcat into the search and it comes up.

Tips

WingTips24
01-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Found another one

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Xanatos8907/?action=view&current=TakeOne.flv

Tips

MTwallet
01-10-2007, 05:11 PM
OH GAWD! Please don't put your antenna up in a straw RC car style like that one guy did!
That just looks aweful to me.
Not to mention (although without retracts it's a moot point) most people don't realize how much aerodynamic drag that adds to an airframe, and the faster you go, the worse it gets.

MT

WingTips24
01-11-2007, 02:18 AM
A few pictures of mine so far

Tips

CHELLIE
01-11-2007, 03:08 AM
Hi WingTips24, I have been looking at that pusher jet too for some time at nitroplanes.com , and now I have an excuse to get one :D , I ordered a 3648 brushless motor on e bay, and they sent me a 4558 1500 watt outrunner, it lookes real nice too ;) its a big motor, maybe a 40 to 50 size glow equall, Let us all know when your done with the pusher Jet, I want to fly It :D Here are some specs on this motor, Tell me if you think it will work ok in this jet. here is a pic of my scratch built mini pusher jet, Take Care and have Fun, Chellie

MTwallet
01-11-2007, 04:00 AM
Nice Chellie.
Looks a lot like the Aerocat (usually a pusher too I modded it to fit the fan).

MT

CHELLIE
01-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Thank You, MTwallet, I fashioned it after the aerocat/bobcat design, it has a 30 in wing span, only because the foam board I bought was 30in x 20in :)
I like the Idea of having the ducted fan now, I had to hand launch with the motor off, and get on the throttle real fast :), one time i was not fast enough and it hit the ground on launch, and broke the nose off, I fixed that, and now it has a tricycle landing gear, much better :) I wanted to make it fast, with a 4100kv motor and a 4.75 x 4.75 prop, and it is :) I can only fly it half throttle, its too fast for me, it has a prop, motor pitch speed of 94 mph, and it eats up a 1800mah 11.1v lipo in 5 mins, its going to get a 2409-12 motor with a 7x6 prop, for more flying time, Take care and have fun, Chellie

WingTips24
01-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi WingTips24, I have been looking at that pusher jet too for some time at nitroplanes.com , and now I have an excuse to get one :D , I ordered a 3648 brushless motor on e bay, and they sent me a 4558 1500 watt outrunner, it lookes real nice too ;) its a big motor, maybe a 40 to 50 size glow equall, Let us all know when your done with the pusher Jet, I want to fly It :D Here are some specs on this motor, Tell me if you think it will work ok in this jet. here is a pic of my scratch built mini pusher jet, Take Care and have Fun, Chellie

CHELLIE,

Hey man nice of you to join in, she is a great looking plane and I too was watching for some time I even ordered one once and cancelled the order only to order it again a few weeks later. I just kept going back and forth on it till I just decided to give it a try. Based on the specs of your motor I think it may be a little small honestly to push it with the authority that you will want it to. Empty weight seems to be around 4.5pounds from what I read and that means with even modest equipment you alr likley to come in around 6 pounds or more. I do think 4 cells to 5 cells "could" fly it but you may feel underpowered and I would think you may not want to chance that with such a large model. Best thing may be to hook it up and see what kind of power you feel she has on the ground. The cool thing is that it looks like she is suppose to spin a 15" prop so perhaps you could prop down a bit and go up to 5 or 6cells on it and then we may have a ballgame! Anyway my 2 pennies on the matter. Let us know what the bench tests look like.:)

Tips

Crash Test Dummy
01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Tips,

I was LMAO when I saw the MJ sitting on top of the Bobcat!!! The Bobcat could be a launch platform for the MJ.

Attention!!!!! If you are having trouble launching you smaller planes, Wingtips launching service just opened its doors!! LOL!!:D

CTD

termite
01-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Chellie,
I can't make out the specs on your motor, could you just post them?

Randy
Dynamo Electrics

WingTips24
01-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Here you go Randy.....

Model - 4558-800
KV ( rpm/V)- 800
Voltage ( V )- 14.8
No Load Current ( A ) - 2.9
No Load currnet Speed( rpm ) - 12000
Load Current (A) - 25.0
Load Speed rpm -6450
Prop - 15X10
Pull - 2000g
G/A - 80
Motor Weight - 266g or 9.38 oz

Tips

CHELLIE
01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Look what I found :rolleyes: If anyone is interested, I looks nice, its new, sold by hobby lobby , http://www.hobby-lobby.com/vdiamond.htm

Thank You Wingtips for posting specs

Take care and have Fun, Chellie

WingTips24
01-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Chellie,

I got one of those...well had ...lon...scratch that short storey...ended in tragedy...lol. yup there was some tragedy here some tragedy there some tragedy I couldn't find...you get the point. Anyway CTD can tell you she is a great flying bird, pretty fast too.

Tips

MTwallet
01-11-2007, 11:00 PM
short storey...ended in tragedy...lol. yup there was some tragedy here some tragedy there some tragedy I couldn't find...you get the point.
Tips

LMAO!!! Too funny. :)

MT

Crash Test Dummy
01-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Look what I found :rolleyes: If anyone is interested, I looks nice, its new, sold by hobby lobby , http://www.hobby-lobby.com/vdiamond.htm

Thank You Wingtips for posting specs

Take care and have Fun, Chellie
Chellie,

I have a V-Diamond but I need a new Fuse. I had a battery cut out on me on takeoff and it was only about 20 ft in the air. I couldn't recover and it went nose in, Augh!! I love that plane, I will replace the fuse this spring. There is a bunch of video links in the thread below.

Look here....
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7771&highlight=V-Diamond

Here are some pictures of mine, the wing and rear tail booms survived the crash thanks to a Carbon Fiber mod I did to the rear booms. It will take about an hour or so of work to get her back flying again after I get the new fuse. are you thinking of getting one?

Hummm, the pictures won't load up. Oh well there are pix in the thread.

CTD

CHELLIE
01-12-2007, 05:18 AM
Hi CTD :) yes I was thinking about getting one, its a step up from my mini foam pusher jet, :rolleyes: ;) I was looking for a place to fly today, normally i fly in parking lots during the weekends, but they were full today :( and I put wheel on my pusher foam & F4U corsair, so no grass flying for them :) maybe i should just take the wheels off and go back to the park flying :)
Take care, Chellie

WingTips24
01-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey CTD,

There was a guy at the flying field who was flying one it was very fast I was amazed at how quick that little thing was.

Tips

WingTips24
01-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Got a bit more done on the Bobcat last night while on the phoine with CTD. Finally got all my servos all straightened out so that was good. Not too long now just a few more things to get together and I can get er going. I think the maiden will be within 2 weeks though due to battery needs so I will take my time on the rest since I have some time.

Tips

DIALED/CHUCK
01-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Looking good, homeslice!

Keep it coming.

Bring that one down here...and we can get you running it up on a naval airstrip @ fentress!

--C

WingTips24
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks Brotha , took a small break from it had a stryker building hankering that I had to tend to. That is almost done now so it's back to bobcat business.

Here is another "bobcat" version I know has been posted around called the Ling Cat.

http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/promotions/Airplanes/electric_airplanes/balsa_planes/lingcat_380.html

Tips

WingTips24
01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey Fellas,

Just snagged this from RCG a guy over there "Matt Chave" took what must have been a super long time to put together a compilation of the best Fighter jet clips and put them all in one place edited together.
.......Break out the popcorn!

"Most awesome Jet video ever"
30 Minutes Long

http://www.uavdev.com/media/index.html

........Gets me all worked up to finish my bobcat

BTW I could not hear the music so I can't account for what music is playing and what words are being used so please be aware the beginning warns there is some profanity in the music used to make the video.

Tips

DIALED/CHUCK
01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
There is something about looking at Jets...

Though I never fulfilled my dream of becoming a fighter pilot, I have been close enough and blessed enough to be as close to them as I am. It's a major part of why I moved here to Virginia Beach from Los Angeles. Some call it crazy...but they just don't understand.

I happily pay my taxes every year; and in my mind, my 'dues' go to the men and women who serve, so that a few may know what it is like to hit the burners, get thrown back in their seat, and go as high and fly as hard as they can. I never complain about tax day.

"This year I am kicking in on a new flight suit for a LT" is what I said when I saw how much I owed.

The year before last when I owed a nice chunk, I 'bought' enough fuel to hit afterburner for about 6 seconds for a Lt Commander...

It's all in the mindset.

What an awesome video.

It doesnt matter how long I live here...I hear the roar, I see gears going up just above First Colonial Road...and when the light is just right on the horizon, my eyes well and I scream "YEAH!"

....sometimes it's just better to watch someone living your dream than actually to be doing it yourself.

...build it, Tips...build it as only you can!

--C

WingTips24
01-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Chuck,

With a heart like that I bet the folks flying those F-14's would say you have earned your wings. You are a pilot in every sense of the word in my book man! Thats great stuff! I have some family in the different branches of the military some who served in Iraq already so I understand your gratitude, tough place to be to so we can sleep peacefully at night. We owe them a lot.

I can't wait to get home to watch it again with the music also if the video was that good must be awesome with music.

On the Bobcat : Roger that bro!

What are you working on right now, got any birds on the bench?

Tips

WingTips24
02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Okay build will resume this week sorry for the long break but I had a stryker that I had to itch..lol!

Tips

Ralph V
02-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Hi, WingTips

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I just wish I would have seen your
thread sooner. I ordered my Bobcat last week, and it should be here on
Friday. I ordered mine from Nitro planes, good price but shipping was a
killer, could have saved $9.00 on the shipping if I would have ordered it
from Raidentech, shame on me. I also plan on going electric with it. I'll
post some pics as soon as it gets here (can't wait) I'm even taking off early from work so I can be here when it arrives, (forgot to tell the little woman I ordered it) I shure hope the UPS guy gets here befor she gets home from work!! shame on me again.

Thanks
Ralph V

WingTips24
02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
LOL Ralph,

I know what you mean, that is great timing too man I will be finishing mine up this weekend, havent worked on it in a bit cause of some other projects and some minor repairs but now that those are mostly out of the way I can get back into this bird. So far she looks to be a great flyer so I am looking forwad to flying it. I will need to purchase some batteries so I may have to hold off on the maiden but I can taxi though. LOL.

What are you thinking about for your setup?

Tips

Ralph V
02-09-2007, 04:41 AM
Hi, WingTips

I have a couple of options in mind, but that will depend on the actual
weight of the empty aircraft. I want to try to keep it as light as possible.
The setup you chose seems almost overkill, I have the AXI 4130-20, and
running a 24 cell NiCad pack in my GP GeeBee weight around 12 lbs. flys
it pretty good with a little throttle management for almost 10 min. or so.
I also have that same setup in my 1/4 scale Balsa USA Dr1, more than
enough power for that too, only one drawback, it's scary quiet.
I think I will be using NiCads in the BobCat as they are a little cheeper,
but mostly I can charge them faster (more flying more fun) they do weigh
more than the Lipos, but for the price I can buy a lot more NiCads, and fly
all day. I'm going to try first using a motor setup arround 700 watts, about
6 lbs of thrust, hooping the add is right (flying weight 5-1/2 lbs. ??)
nice thing about electrics is you can change motors in a couple minutes
right at the field, and try again untill I find a motor that best meets my
flying needs. Soon as it gets here I'm going to start on it, and try to post
some pics as I go. For now here is a pic of my Gee Bee

Thanks
Ralph V

Ralph V
02-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Hi, wingTips

I just got my BobCat today. Packaging was pretty good, not to many
wrinkles. I opened the box and everything was looking good,read through
the instructions, and started to assemble it. Now things aren't looking so
good, the holes on the left wing for the tail boom were drilled in the wrong
spot (about 1/8" off) I didn't care for the plastic screws that are used to
hold the tail boom to the wing, seems to be a little to weak for me. The
boom for the right side seemed to fit ok, on the left side the boom actualy
was over into the aileron opening, on the fuse left side one of the formers
is in the way of the hole for the wing tube, I had to grind it out with a :eek:
dremmel, it's a good thing I have a well equiped work shop, and I can fix
what needs to be fixed. I like the plane so I'll just fix it, but kind of a
bummer that it needs so much work befor I can assemble it. Well for now
I'm just going to make a list of the things I need, and try to pick them up
at the local hobby store. By the way I don't think the flying weight will be
close to the 5.5 lbs. as they say. I weighed mine with everything but the
servos, motor, and batterys, and it came out to 4 lbs. 6 oz. :confused: now I
may have to go with a bigger motor than I planned too, I'm thinking
maybe the E-flight 60, and a three bladed prop, if it has the power as
claimed by others, I guess I'll be thinking retracts (hope my tax refund
comes soon). Once I get all the holes re drilled, and repaired I'll post some
pictures. Hopefully befor the weekend is over. Oh ya while I was waiting
for the UPS guy to get here I sorta cleaned the house, did the dishes
and the little woman is kool.

Thanks
Ralph V

WingTips24
02-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi, wingTips

I just got my BobCat today. Packaging was pretty good, not to many
wrinkles. I opened the box and everything was looking good,read through
the instructions, and started to assemble it. Now things aren't looking so
good, the holes on the left wing for the tail boom were drilled in the wrong
spot (about 1/8" off) I didn't care for the plastic screws that are used to
hold the tail boom to the wing, seems to be a little to weak for me. The
boom for the right side seemed to fit ok, on the left side the boom actualy
was over into the aileron opening, on the fuse left side one of the formers
is in the way of the hole for the wing tube, I had to grind it out with a :eek:
dremmel, it's a good thing I have a well equiped work shop, and I can fix
what needs to be fixed. I like the plane so I'll just fix it, but kind of a
bummer that it needs so much work befor I can assemble it. Well for now
I'm just going to make a list of the things I need, and try to pick them up
at the local hobby store. By the way I don't think the flying weight will be
close to the 5.5 lbs. as they say. I weighed mine with everything but the
servos, motor, and batterys, and it came out to 4 lbs. 6 oz. :confused: now I
may have to go with a bigger motor than I planned too, I'm thinking
maybe the E-flight 60, and a three bladed prop, if it has the power as
claimed by others, I guess I'll be thinking retracts (hope my tax refund
comes soon). Once I get all the holes re drilled, and repaired I'll post some
pictures. Hopefully befor the weekend is over. Oh ya while I was waiting
for the UPS guy to get here I sorta cleaned the house, did the dishes
and the little woman is kool.

Thanks
Ralph V

Yea I think they are way off in thinking you can get these things in a 5.5punds. Most are flying at around 7.5pounds so that is the mark I am shooting for though I dont care if it is a bit over

How much were your nicads, that may be something to look into. I have lipos so that was naturally my first option but I would like to look into them as a possible second option

Bumme ron the kit issues mine seemed pretty good although I did not like the nylon screws either, I just bought some bolts and washers to replace them. I didn't get to do much this weekend I had to get about 4 planes going again so tomorrow I'll look into the cat. I have off yea! A full working shop is a good thing.

Shoot some pics as you progress it would bee good to see.

Tips

Ralph V
02-13-2007, 05:42 AM
WingTips

Well I got a little work done on my BobCat. I started with the things
that bother me the most, (servos sticking out of an aircraft). I started
with the stab, and elevator. Besides the elevator servo sticking out the
side of the booms, I didn't like the long pushrods running up to the
elevator. I am using HS-81's for the elevator, and rudders. Starting with
elevator controls I cut out the bottom of the outside bays of the stab.
made some servo doors out of two laminated pieces of 1/32 plywood as
the 1/16 plywood I had was only 3 ply. Now my servos are hidden, and my
pushrods shorter. I took a long drill bit, and drilled up through the center
of the tail fin to route my servo wires through. Next I will make some
servo doors for the rudders to hide them the same way. Here is some pics
of what I have done so far, I'll post some more as I go. The NiCads I am
using are 2400 mAh six packs wired in series, I can fast charge them in
about 15 minutes, I got two six packs for $50.00.

Thanks
Ralph V

WingTips24
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Looks really good man, I did have the patience to really go at this one in fine detail. Yours is looking great keep up the great work. I actually didn't even get to do anything on mine this weekend. Kinda weighs on the mind, I need to get back to that thing but it is likley to not get toughed till the weekend. Anyway we will see. Keep it commin!

Tips

Jollyroger
02-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I've been looking at this one meself.
Using my Ecalc I've run several motor /battery/prop combos through it and found Hyperion outrunners to be a great choice either the 4020-10 or-12 looks good and using a 5S pack keeps the weight down.
I like the idea of installing the servo in the stab, but what about ballance?
Anyway good luck with your conversion and keep us posted!
Cheers Jollyroger

Ralph V
02-26-2007, 04:13 AM
Well I got a little more done on my BobCat. I was having a little problem
on how to mount my motor, I searched the web trying to locate a mount
that would work on the BobCat, but couldn't find anything that would
work. I was down in my shop looking at some of my other airplanes looking
for ideas, and BAM why not use a gas motor mount, It's cheep, light
weight, best of all I had a good used one just hanging on the wall. Here
are some pictures on how I mounted it. The motor mounts that came with
the BobCat were white, I didn't have any blue that matched, but found
some that was cloose enough. I used a Dave Brown 46 size motor mount
I shimmed it up 5/16" and had a perfect fit.

WingTips24
02-26-2007, 05:09 AM
wow Ralph that looks super hot man. Good news for me I just purchased a new 4 cell so now I'll have 10s for this baby. I sadly did not get much done this week had a lot of work to do so I am still no farther along, though I did take her our to reinspire myself to finish it. I reallyu don't have much to do but I still have a few hours left. Now that the batts are all taken care of it should be just a matter of time now all parts are in

Tips

fantzypantz
04-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Bump!

WingTips24
04-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Ha haa appreciate that, I was looking at her this weekend but got started on another large project which is now done. Hopefully May will bring some work on this big bird.

Tips

fantzypantz
04-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I have the Bobcat still in the box since Christmas. I have a .60 sized brushless motor, and 90Amp ESC ready to go on here but want to read a bit more on how others have converted this jet to leccy power. I recall Fly RC had a blurb about the Bobcat and E-conversion that looked and flew great. Ralph, your setup is looking great also.

WingTips24
05-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Fantzy,

Nice man I have been stalling on mine but I do think she is in the works for this month. Honestly it is a pretty easy build just have the power system in something else right now. Most of everything is done but I need a few more parts yet.

Tips

Crash Test Dummy
05-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Tips,

Don't make me come to Newark!! LOL! Lets get her flying!!

CTD

Crash9
05-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Okay I just read through this thread and now I want one. I have a E-flight Power 60 sitting around and a CC 80amp ESC also that I was going to put in a Telemaster. I was wondering if you guys think this would be a good power source for the Bobcat.

WingTips24
05-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Okay I just read through this thread and now I want one. I have a E-flight Power 60 sitting around and a CC 80amp ESC also that I was going to put in a Telemaster. I was wondering if you guys think this would be a good power source for the Bobcat.

Uhhh Yup! I think that will do it! Go for it man and post how it goes.

Tips

iFLYrc_Vic
05-17-2007, 12:44 PM
I am strongly considering this Bobcat for an electric powered model. I have read through this thread and found a couple of folks are converting this to electric power. However, I don't recall any flight reports.

Has anyone flown this model with electric power on a prop (not fan jet)?

Foamtoyz
05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I picked up a KeeCat in Toledo from RCHotDeals and did an Electric Conversion using a 900KV Import from TrueRC and a 4000 mah 4 cell it would not go straight vertical so I am trying a 5 cell 4000 mah this weekend ... here is some Video of the launch and landing with the 4 cell.. I have just programmed the flaperons in because the landings are fast !!
http://www.ncweb.com/biz/dan/VIDEO.html

Wingspan 55" X 62" long

It flies Nice and rolls sweet !

Crash Test Dummy
05-18-2007, 06:11 PM
I picked up a KeeCat in Toledo from RCHotDeals and did an Electric Conversion using a 900KV Import from TrueRC and a 4000 mah 4 cell it would not go straight vertical so I am trying a 5 cell 4000 mah this weekend ... here is some Video of the launch and landing with the 4 cell.. I have just programmed the flaperons in because the landings are fast !!
http://www.ncweb.com/biz/dan/VIDEO.html

Wingspan 55" X 62" long

It flies Nice and rolls sweet !

NICE JOB!!! Man it looks like it took off at a very slow speed!! It wasn't fast but you 5S pack and a smaller prop might take care of that. Could you post some close up pix of your motor/mount? If you would also post all your specs, Motor [model# and brand], prop size size ESC, BEC, AMP and Watt output. In the video it looked like it landed pretty slow, you said it landed fast. I think my V-Diamond came in hotter. Maybe it looks slower on video.

Thanks, CTD

WingTips24
05-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Very nice my friend and it is even more nice that you were able to get such good flight on that size motor. makes me rething my original motor choice and keep it lighter. Thanks again for the video. Got anymore!

Tips

WingTips24
07-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Okay back in action...!

Bobcat is under construction again and should be ready within a week or so, but there is a rumor that it may get finished this weekend and get maidened tommorow..shhhhh!

Anyway here are some picturs of the build so far, I changed the landing gear to a regular triangle style for the mains and added a small Decathelon gear to cap off the ends and give it some spring. I also will add a different canopy that came form an rc order along time ago that was the wrong size then but perfect now. To match the main gear I uncoiled two winds on the nose wheel gear to match the height. Other than that pretty standard setup.

Tips

Crash Test Dummy
07-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Thats what I'm talking bout!! Get that thing in the air!!

You weren't kidding, that is some tall gear. You'll never have to wory about prop strikes!! Looking good. I hpoe you get her airborne soon, I"ll keep my fingers crossed for this weekend.

CTD

WingTips24
07-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks CTD I worked 15 hours on it last night

Tips

WingTips24
07-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Hey fellas,

The Bobcat is..... f i n a l l y .... almost done. Just a few more minor details and she will be ready for maiden. I have now got all the electronics all set and I just need to install the canopy. I also want to bind all the wiring and set my trims a little lower since it is the first flight but for the most part she is about to be done. Last night I did not do much. I just installed a ring of plywood on the bottom of the fuselage where the nose wheel gear exits the fuselage. This was to keep a hard landing from making the siez of the exit hole bigger. It is kinda of like a backstop for the rod to bang into and it should add strength to that area as well.

I also had to get a replacement speed control because my castle HV -45 was having some issues that could not be figured out on the phone with Tech support. Anyway it is all working now and I must say it sounds freakishly powerful on 9 Cells. I am running a 3 Blade 13X5 prop. I am thinking it wont be too fast but should be powerful.

Tips

Crash Test Dummy
07-25-2007, 04:50 AM
I'm getting goose bumps!! Cant wait to see and hear the flight report!!

CTD

Crash9
07-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Looking good Tips. Good luck on the maiden:).

WingTips24
07-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks guys

Here is a little video of a power test I did on the bobcat. Hope you enjoy. I did..hee hee (evil grin):Q

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-P-O-W-E-R--Test

Tips

Crash Test Dummy
07-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

That was too cool! I'll bet that thing is going to fly nice! Thanks for posting the video!!

I just got back from flying with my bud John. Tips had called me this AM while I was at the field and told me he was posting the video, I couldn't wait to get home to see it. But what you did to that SS was just mean, LOL!! It was funny how it pinned it to the wall, LMAO!!

CTD

This Large type has been brought to you by folks like me who can't see squat without reading glasses.

WingTips24
07-26-2007, 05:24 AM
Found another Bobcat video...NOT MINE yet sorry....but cool video none the less..boy she lands fast...eeek! My runway is not too long.

Tips

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-50

WingTips24
07-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

That was too cool! I'll bet that thing is going to fly nice! Thanks for posting the video!!

I just got back from flying with my bud John. Tips had called me this AM while I was at the field and told me he was posting the video, I couldn't wait to get home to see it. But what you did to that SS was just mean, LOL!! It was funny how it pinned it to the wall, LMAO!!

CTD

This Large type has been brought to you by folks like me who can't see squat without reading glasses.

Glad you liked it I could hardly keep from laughing as I was filming..LOL! Yea I now have to fix my poor slow stick she suffered a little injury in the event.

Tips

WingTips24
07-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Hey folks,

Okay She has been to the heavens and returned to earth.... all planes do this it's just how they get back to earth that is worth the story. So heres mine...

It was a nice day about 83 degrees and sunny with mild 7-10 mph winds. My wonderful momma called and we talked on the phone for about 2 hours as I sat in the field so it was not actually till around 7:30pm when I got to give it a go.

I started out on grass both to see how the gear did and because I thought it would be a little better in the event of a mishap. I velcroed, fastened, checked and rechecked everything and throttled up. She started wading through the 4 inch grass and it was only after about 30 feet that I realized something was wrong and she was not going to get enough speed. I throttled back expecting the possibility or a roll problem due to my slightly too springy landing gear and sure enough it was getting caught in the grass.
No worries onto plan B. I knew their was a small strip of asphault leading to the field and though this was not my first choice for obvious reasons but I figured I could work her into the air. I found my starting spot and again throttled up...much better. As she was nearing the end of the runway and was still on it I admit I was almost ready to release in my shorts and then she took off. Shweeewww...I thought but oh yea I still gotta fly her. I took off and realized immediatley she was slightly nose heavy ...again I thought she might be since I still felt I was off the mark even with the batteries as far back as I could get them. I clicked about 15 clicks and she trimmed out. I also added a few of left and she was going straight.

As I get to altitude I can tell the she was a smooth flyer and I saw no signs of stall on the turns even at moderatly slow speeds. She has a big wings so no surprise there. I did a few laps and rolled a few times on low rates then on high. Both low and high were very controllable but I left them on low for the maiden. I am flying for about 2 minutes and decide to test out full throttle. Not bad but nothing spectacular. OThen out of nowhere I see a giant cargo C-150 plane. Their up pretty high but I come lower anyway just to be sure. I did a nice slow flyby and use it as a chance to practice a mock landing. She does nice and I pull back up now that I was clear of the plane. It was then that I heard what I thought was the motor blip. I thought "wow that was fast" but could I be at LVC already it could not have been more than 4 minutes. Not wanting to take any chances I use that turn to come around. I line up for the grass and lower the throttle. She gets closer to the ground and it was there that I realized I needed a bit more throttle. I power up a little and pull up she pulls up a little too well and stalls slightly. I add more throttle to cancel the stall and she recovers and lands albeit a little hard.

I get over to her and realize my spring gear was sprung as in bent all up ( by the way the springy part is the bottom two inches see pics of gear below. The main gear was fine.) The nose wheel also bent some as well and I notice a small stress crack on rear portion of the motor mount. Sounds worse than it looked. I straigtened the gear at the field and put in a 4 cell to taxi it back home. So it was a good maiden but the landing left me wanting to go at it agiain. I called CTD to help talk me out of another flight since I really needed to go home and evaluate my landing gear. As always he much obliged and I headed back to the hangar.

So I would say the maiden was a success and I think the next one will be better now that I know where the gremlins are hiding in the plane...LOL
No video cause I had no cameraman so I will get some soon.

Tips

termite
07-29-2007, 01:57 AM
Julian,
Darryl called this morning telling me of the hilarious video with slow stick so I just checked it out:blah:

Gotta love it dude!
Randy

WingTips24
07-31-2007, 04:13 AM
Ya Mon!

I was crakin up inside while I was filming, glad you enjoyed, I know you can appreciate the madness. i just swapped out the 3 blade for a 2 blade 13X13 racing prop. Looks good and sounds bettere. Amps came down by 14amps and watts only dropped by 200. Sounds like a 10th cell to me...lol!

Tips

Mr. Baggins
08-03-2007, 02:00 AM
That is a great little vid Tips. :D Can't wait for the flight vidz.

Cheers
Bill

WingTips24
08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Glad you enjoyed it I have done some mods since the Maiden so I will post some pics of them soon as I am done.

Tips

Crash Test Dummy
08-05-2007, 05:08 AM
I want to see her fly!!!!!

CTD

WingTips24
08-05-2007, 05:17 AM
VIDEO

Hey folks I got some video albeit a copy of a copy. I have a dvd camera and vhs video camera so what you are seeing is a video of my video playing on tv so hense the black line in the screen...lol. Sorry bout the picture quality but it was the only way to post it right away. There are 6 clips totaling 2 flights. This is also with my new 13X13 prop. Much faster and 14 amps less.

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-85-clip-1

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-85-clip-2

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-85-clip-3

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-85-clip-4

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-85-clip-5

http://media.putfile.com/Bobcat-85-clip-6

Tips

Crash Test Dummy
08-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Yery nice job flying Tips. You'll find the grove and get those landings slowed down. My V-Diamond landed with flames coming off the wings until I got to know her better. Thanks for posting all the videos!!

CTD

Mr. Baggins
08-05-2007, 11:23 PM
That's great Tips. Looks like you gotta great combo there.

Crash Test Dummy
08-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Hey Tips,

Did you get back out with the BC-46 again today?

CTD

WingTips24
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
No I just adjusted a few things on it. I should be able to get back out sometime this week. More video of a video to come.

Tips

rlfgary
12-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Hello, Anybody there? I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for some landing gear for this model. I have one but it came minus the main gear. I have the nose stuff, but if you have any rear wheel gear you would like to sell (and flaps and rudder surfaces too), please drop me a line! Thanks